Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus 2008 Removal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 rlund

rlund

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:57 AM

A few days ago, the Antivirus 2008 pop-up appeared on my friend's new computer. It stated that he had 41 infections. HIs access to the internet was blocked, as well.
In order to remove them, he had to pay for the service.
After a bit of research, I discovered that it was a scam and attempted to remove it from his computer, via standard means (control panel, programs and features, uninstall). It appeared that some files were removed, but some were left behind. Those that remained still indicated that he had 41 infections and blocked his access to the internet, by indicating that the websites posed a threat.
I found this community and the instructions for removing Antivirus 2008, through http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-re.../antivirus-2008. I carefully followed the instructions and ran the scan...to no avail. The program didn't find the Antivirus 2008 or any infections, for that matter. Unfortunately, the problem remains.
I thought that it might work to restore the computer to a time prior to the arrival of the Antivirus 2008 pop-up and then follow the removal instructions. When I restored it to a restore point from May, I could not get on the internet (the error message indicated that we were not connected to the internet. After an hour with the Roadrunner support people, we determined that their signal to the computer was strong and that the modem was working; but apparently the TCI/IP(?) was damaged by the restore and needed to be re-installed). Out of desperation, I restored the computer back to a restore point from yesterday. Now, he can connect to the internet again, but the Antivirus still states that the websites (any of them) pose a threat and prevents him from going any further.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can thoroughly remove this malicious program and restore his computer's functionality?
Thanks, in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:07 AM

Download HijackThis™ here:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/th.../hijackthis.php

Right click on it and choose "Run as Administrator". Click 'Do a System Scan and Save logfile'.
The HJT log will open in notepad.

Copy and paste the contents of the HJT log into a NEW TOPIC in "HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Iownyoujk

Iownyoujk

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:48 AM

It might be smitfraud.Try these instructions on this forum and see if this removes it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/17258/how-to-remove-the-smitfraud-generic-zlob-quicknavigate-virtual-maid/

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:55 AM

As it's been recommended that you post a HiJackThis log over in the HiJackThis forums, this topic will be closed. Once the HJT log has be certified clean by a member of the HJT Team, please contact a moderator if you need to reopen this topic.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users