Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 darkslategrey

darkslategrey

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:41 AM

So, I've got two computers and a wireless access point hooked up to a five-port switch that connects to a DSL modem. The problem is, at some point or another, the modem's ethernet light will suddenly go dark and both computers will be disconnected. No amount of power-cycling fixes this. The problem can be partially alleviated by directly connecting one computer to the modem, but this leaves the other computer in the dark in terms of any sort of network connection, along with any computers that need to be connected through the wireless router, which includes a desktop used for work upstairs. I'm not sure exactly where the problem lies but I'm becoming more and more sure that it's the modem, because the five-port switch continues to recognize any computer that's powered on and connected, plus the modem and router.
In case these are needed, the brands and model numbers of the networking equipment are:
Modem, Speedstream, 060-5660-171
Five-Port Switch, Linksys, EZXS55W
Router, Linksys, BEFW11S4
Edit: Oh dear. I seem to have posted in the wrong forum again. Sorry. Please move this? :thumbsup:

Edited by darkslategrey, 21 June 2008 - 09:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

I guess that I don't understand why you are using a switch...and a router. The switch is unnecessary and just places another potential point of failure in the connection, IMO.

In my experience (limited)...modem problems revolve around my kicking the connecting wires loose :thumbsup: and/or potential power/connection problems experienced by the broadband provider.

But...the modem can always fail or be failing, it's a manmade device with all the weaknesses of such.

I'd check the connections first...cable to modem, modem to router...and I'd connect the computers directly to the router and nix the switch.

Louis

#3 darkslategrey

darkslategrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:23 PM

The reason we are using a router AND a modem is that we didn't know that our ISP would specifically provide a modem which also acted as a router. So we kept the router for use as a wireless access point and wired it into the switch like a computer. I've already tested the connections and I said in the beginning post that one computer was currently connected to the modem, but this didn't really fix the problem since we often want several computers using the internet at once.

Edited by darkslategrey, 21 June 2008 - 05:23 PM.

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:31 PM

I don't know how comfortable you are with upgrading the firmware on your modem, but it may correct your connection issues. This site has the information you would need.

http://text.dslreports.com/faq/eff/7_5660

#5 darkslategrey

darkslategrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

Yeah, that might help. I'm not really all that good with the networking thing, but we were going to call a technician in from our ISP. Last time they were pretty helpful too, they fixed the problem, which turned out to be corrupt files on the modem. However, I think the symptoms were different last time. I'll talk to them about that if we do decide to call. In the meantime, if anyone has any other ideas, it'd be great if you posted them. Thanks!

Edit: We found out something interesting: If you connect the modem to the computer directly after the ethernet light goes off, turn off the router, plug the computer into the 5-port switch and then reconnect the 5-port switch to the modem, the ethernet light turns back on. Also, just now, the ethernet light shut off, and as I was walking over to connect the computer to the modem it mysteriously turned back on. It almost looks like the problem is starting to resolve itself... I dunno.

Edited by darkslategrey, 22 June 2008 - 01:05 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:27 PM

FWIW: Using a router and a modem make sense to me...using a switch and a router don't.

Good luck :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 darkslategrey

darkslategrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:02 PM

Okay, I think I've troubleshot my way to the problem. The reason we had a five-port switch is that the router was one port short of our requirements. Anyways, we took the switch completely out of the loop and used the router in the same way and the system functions perfectly now. Thanks for the help anyways.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:44 AM

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:13 PM

Glad you got it worked out !!

#10 †ZenDeR†

†ZenDeR†

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:14 PM

erm....sory if disturbing u all....erm... can i know u connect your modem too switch then go to the router? is it? wat u mean?

erm... if like tat u mean, what i know is,why u didnt connect from modem to the router then from router go to the other PC?

here we must want to check how many port do u have? inside ur modem and the router....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users