Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Backup And Restore Center

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:27 AM

Hi all ,,, i have come accross this problem trying to restore some files i lost,,, i used the backup and restore in vista home prem to make file and documents backups,,, now im trying to restore some lost files and when i go into the restore center. When turning on the external drive my system recognizes it, however when navigating to Control Panel/System and Maintenance/Backup and Restore Center/Restore files from backup/and then to Restore Files I receive a yellow yield icon with an exclamation indicating that "There are no backups available on this computer". when i look in the ext hdd they are all there, i can see them,,, am i doing something wrong or when i made the backups did i do somehing wrong then?? The external hdd is formated to ntfs.
thanks,,,,,,Ian.

Edited by figgis41, 21 June 2008 - 07:33 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:30 AM

Not much help, but some links to possible solutions:
http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pages/com...p-problems.aspx
http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/archive/2...ms-updated.aspx
http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/archive/2...locker-faq.aspx

I'd also suggest checking Event Viewer for more information on the exact error that is generated.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:28 AM

hi John,,,, the backups are there, and the backup and restore see the ext drive[attachment=6001:Capture.JPG]
[attachment=6002:Capture.JPG_1.JPG]
then i click next to open the K: drive backup and it go's to this insted
[attachment=6003:Capture.JPG_2.JPG]
then if i click on add files or add folders it looks in my C: drive insted[attachment=6004:Capture.JPG_3.JPG]

i have looked online for something simaler but cant find anything like it,,, im wondering if i have done the backups correctly in the firstplace??
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

Can you direct the dialog in the last screenshot to look in your K: drive? Click on Computer in the left hand pane, then double click on the K: drive?

FWIW - I'm way outta my depth here. I've tested this feature once, and then abandoned it in favor of Acronis True Image (which I'm comfortable with).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

hi,,, i have tryed that John,,, all it shows in the computer part in the left pain is C: drive and nothing else,,, im wondering if the backup is corrupt in some way,,, it gets to the location and the date and time of the backup and after that nothing,,, as if its not there,,,,, i looked at true image on cnet, i mite give it a go,,, thanks for your help John,,,,, regards ,,,,,,Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:40 PM

Hi, I'm not sure if this will help but it worth a try . Open the " Computer " and right click on the K drive , select properties , then Security tab , find your user name and click on edit , add the check marks for Allow , if you place it in the full control they will all be added , click apply and ok , reboot and see if that helps .

#7 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:17 PM

Hi, Try this >> start the Backup status and configuration , then select Restore Files, then Advanced store , click Continue with premission . Have it on " Files
from the latest backup made on this computer " click Next, Click Add Folders, now on the left side of the screen select " Computer " , then click Add , then click next and you should see your backup with the option to select start restore . See if that helps

Edited by snooker, 21 June 2008 - 03:18 PM.

#8 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:25 AM

bingo,,, you got it,,,,, thanks snooker bloke,,, i followed both of your surgestions and on the second one it found the backups and then i clicked next and it asked me if i wanted to put them back in the origanal place,,,,,, thanks for the help mate ,,, much appreciated,,,,,,,,,,,, Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#9 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:01 AM

You're welcome Ian , i'm glad it did the trick .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users