Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Os Installed On Hd2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:11 AM

Alright, When I got my laptop i tried downgrading to windows XP from windows vista. I have a dell inspiron 1720 (i know...) Anyway dell told me i could install XP without a problem. After I did they then tell me that the drivers wont work for XP which sent me on a tirade. After many unsuccessful atempts to reinstall vista, dell sent me a new HD (with windows vista installed) to replace the one i had. Due to their infinite stupidity, they sent me a HD2 instead of a HD1. I installed the new HD and throuh BIOS had it boot from the HD2. They let me keep the HD1. Problem now is that now the computer takes a good 3-4 minutes to boot up (It will show that screen with the loading bar at the bottom for about 2 minutes, then the whole screen turns black for a good 1-2 minutes, and then I get the sign in screen). It used to take less than a minute to do all this. I think this is due to the fact that its running of the HD2. Is there a way to fix this? I was wondering if maybe there was a way to swap the drives? Or maybe theres something I didnt do that would make it boot up quicker. Thanks in advance for any help. If it requires a complete format and blah blah blah then I can just live with it the way it is. The long boot time is just irritating. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:53 AM

59 looks and no responses?!?!?!?!

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:15 PM

Is this a dual drive and you're saying that you have two hard drives installed now?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

Right...my laptop has two hardrives and the OS is installed on HD2

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:04 PM

Put the replacement in the slot where the original one was and leave the other one out. Does that work? Is there still data on the original drive (like maybe a botched OS)?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:11 PM

Wont work.....the HD1 is shaped differently than the HD2. I formated the HD1 to use it for extra storage.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:18 PM

The primary drive (the one with the OS) has to be in the primary slot. Any chance of posting a pic of the two? It's pretty straight forward in the service manual
http://supportapj.dell.com/support/
Mark
Posted Image

#8 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

Ok the operating system is on Hard Drive 2. Hard drive 1 doesnt have anything on it. My theory is that when the computer boots up it is looking for the OS on HD1 but doesnt find it and then goes to HD2. Even though I have the BIOS set to run off HD2 on startup, i feel that it till slows down the computers startup time having it on HD2 instead of HD1. When I first bought the computer it booted up and shut down within seconds. Now it take 3-4 minutes to boot up or shut down. I have AVG and Superantispyware installed and I do routine maintanance to keep it virus/spyware/malware free and running smooth so I know its not an issue with that.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

Every program or device installed on any computer...results in it getting somewhat slower at boot.

Makes sense, since :thumbsup: more drivers have to install, more startup programs, etc.

You might want to take a look at using a tool like AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
for managing your startup items. Often, drivers and items which users believe have been removed...are left as residue of the boot process.

I use the Drivers tab and the Logon tab to prune my system from time to time. You will probably be surprised at the number of drivers which are operative in XP.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users