Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Self Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:50 AM

I dont know what went wrong but may laptop keeps on hibernating by itself, and it happens randomly, sometimes after 4 hrs or sometimes after an hour. Im using windows XP Home sp3. Thank you.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:01 AM

How long does it take before it hibernates if left untouched?

Have you looked in the Power Options in the Control panel to see what the amount of time is set to for it to hibernate?

Start> Control Panel> Power Options

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:14 AM

Try gently wiggling the power cord - does this make the power/charging light go on and off? If so, it could be a loose connection that's preventing your battery from fully charging.

Also, check the battery life when you resume from hibernation - is it unusually low?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:18 AM

Actually it hibernates even if im doing something like playing online games.. etc., i already "checked" never hibernates on power options... it happens sometimes after 4 hrs of using it....

The power chord is good, the battery life remains at 98% after it resumes from hibernation.

I have tried checking the life of my battery and it last for about 1 hour.

Any ideas?
Tnx.

Edited by sempai, 22 June 2008 - 01:18 AM.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:20 AM

Have you blown out the innards with a can of compressed air? If you get a lot of dust when doing this it could be that the laptop was overheating and it hibernated in order to save your stuff before it shut down.

FYI - don't use a vacuum cleaner, or an industrial compressed air supply. The vacuum may create static electricity that will damage components inside the case, and the industrial compressed air is too powerful for the delicate components inside of the case.

Edited by usasma, 22 June 2008 - 07:22 AM.
Added FYI

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:55 AM

I tried to blow w/ a can air but no dust is visible or the air cant blow the dust.... by the way i put my laptop on a table w/ a glass, when i touch the glass it was as hot as my laptop, so i think the glass prevents my laptop from cooling down and it generates more heat causing may laptop to overheat and hibernate. So i tried to remove the glass and put my laptop directly on the table surface (wood) and so far so good, no hibernation since then.

Im getting a CPU temp. of 53-60 Celcius and CPU core voltage of 0.95V on normal use, and when im watching some streaming videos or playing online games im getting a CPU temp of 65-76 celcius and CPU voltage of 1.3V. Is this normal for a laptop w/ a Intel Centrino Dual core Processor?

Edited by sempai, 24 June 2008 - 05:11 AM.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:59 AM

Sounds like overheating to me. If you don't want to send it in for repair, I'd suggest one of those laptop cooling pads that are sold in most stores that sell laptops.

#8 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:35 AM

Thanks.... Any idea what usually a technician will going to do in case i will bring it for repair?

Edited by sempai, 24 June 2008 - 09:28 AM.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

If it were me, I'd disassemble the case and check to ensure that all the cooling parts were in place and functioning properly. I'd also re-grease the processor heatsink with some thermal paste to ensure that it was working well. It's a labor intensive job, but there aren't many parts that could be replaced (so most of the cost would be in labor).

But, a good technician will talk with you first to see what's happening, and then will troubleshoot it himself to see exactly what the problem is (this may increase your cost).

#10 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:52 AM

I think i can do it if i only know how to open my laptop... anyway thanks a lot for the help....... very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:26 AM

You can find tutorials on disassembling most all laptops on the Internet. Just to get you started I found this site which explains how to change out the hdd on over fifteen different manufacturers and over a hundred models of laptops.

Edited by dc3, 27 June 2008 - 09:28 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users