Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On-screen Mouse Pointer Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RapboY

RapboY

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:27 AM

Hi, first off, sorry i'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, since I'm not sure if this is hardware of software.

I have an HP Pavilion tx2120us laptop, running Windows Vista x64 and it has a touchpad, a wacom enabled screen, and touchscreen.

The problem I'm having is that the mouse pointer on-screen somtimes just suddenly teleports down to the taskbar. And I think it also clicks once, since sometimes the volume control suddenly comes up, or whatever else is on the taskbar. This happens when using my touchpad, external mouse, and the wacom pen. I dont really use the touchscreen very often.

I have tried resetting the touchpad on the mouse settings in "Properties" from desktop right click menu. I also tried downloading a driver from HP's website for my laptop's touchpad, and that also didn't work since the driver I have installed is newer.

It's not always like this though, it used to happen a lot less, and all I had to do then was restart, and it's ok. But now, I've already restarted twice, but still I can't get rid of this problem.

Could it also be caused by some other stuff? like my Comodo firewall? or by Yahoo! Messenger 9 beta?

I tried searching the net for an answer but i cant seem to find one.

So, please, anyone who can help, in anyway, please do. Thanks. :D

Edited by RapboY, 21 June 2008 - 01:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:28 AM

Have you tried using an external mouse to see if it behaves the same way? I'd suspect an issue with the touchpad (or the Wacom screen) - usually something's stuck there.

FWIW, I experience some unexplained cursor drift occasionally on my new tablet with a Wacom screen - so it could be a software glitch also.

Finally, I'd suggest disabling each device in the Device Manager to see if it stops the drift. Once you locate the offending piece of software, then we can start trying to fix that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RapboY

RapboY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

Have you tried using an external mouse to see if it behaves the same way? I'd suspect an issue with the touchpad (or the Wacom screen) - usually something's stuck there.

FWIW, I experience some unexplained cursor drift occasionally on my new tablet with a Wacom screen - so it could be a software glitch also.

Finally, I'd suggest disabling each device in the Device Manager to see if it stops the drift. Once you locate the offending piece of software, then we can start trying to fix that.

yep i have been trying to use an external mouse.. and i dont thnk its really the touchpad.. it could be the screen itself.. so i tried to see which the screen prioritizes and it comes out like this:

1- wacom pen
2- external mouse
3- touchpad

*when the wacom pen is near the screen, and i try to move with the another device, it just starts going jittery, but just at the point where the pen is pointing at..
**when i use the touchpad or external mouse, i have to stop moving them before the screen follows the wacom pen..

#4 RapboY

RapboY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:39 AM

sorry for double post.. but i think the problem is the wacom screen.. so yeah, i think the mod moved this in the wrong forum.. please put it back to hardware..

i think it's the wacom screen really cuz sometimes the mouse pointer just changes into the wacom pen pointer.. so.. is there anything i can do?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:15 AM

I'd suggest reinstalling the drivers/applications for the wacom screen.
I'd also reinstall the touchpad drivers just to be sure.

If that doesn't fix it, post back and we'll move this over to the Internal Hardware forum.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 RapboY

RapboY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

I'd suggest reinstalling the drivers/applications for the wacom screen.
I'd also reinstall the touchpad drivers just to be sure.

If that doesn't fix it, post back and we'll move this over to the Internal Hardware forum.

tried those already.. i even tried to download the latest driver from wacom's site to be sure, but there's still no difference..

and it's really weird because it doesnt happen all the time, but just for a few minutes, then after a few hours, it happens again.. something like that.. so yeah, i'm stumped as to what could be causing this.. maybe it's not fixable by any other means that i need to send it in to hp for fixing? and question, if i do that, will they tamper my files? just asking.. thanks :D

#7 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:27 PM

When you send your computer in for fixing, the fixers have a tendancy to reinstall your OS, they should tell you to back up your information before you hand it over to them. But they wont.

#8 RapboY

RapboY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:35 AM

When you send your computer in for fixing, the fixers have a tendancy to reinstall your OS, they should tell you to back up your information before you hand it over to them. But they wont.

thanks! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users