Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashy.exe On My Mp3 Player (sansa)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 World Pilgrim

World Pilgrim

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:15 PM

Hi,

First of all, make sure you respond to me as a complete computer idiot as I am pretty much it. So not too much jargon in your reply!

I think I caught up a virus on my MP3 player. There were new folders appearing on it which I could't remove such as flashy, tmp and recycler and I kept noticing that something was writing on my MP3 instead of just connecting as it usually did when plugged in for charging the battery. The computer I am using succeeded to get rid of the tmp and recycler one but the FLASHY folder seems indestructible. I already tried a few things but I'm afraid of making it worst and/or loosing all my data on my MP3 player.

Unfortunately, I am traveling in South-East Asia so never using the same computer and they rarely have a good updated virus protection. I don't want to spread anything but I need to charge my MP3 once in a while. For the next 2 days, I am able to use a computer with an updated anti-virus program so I am willing to try to get rid of the problem once and for all with your help without being too scared of infecting more computers.

Here, they use NOD32 antivirus system on Windowns XP professional and I installed ThreatFire under a friend's suggestion. I have read on the forum 2 running antivirus systems isn't good.

Please walk me through safety again!

Thanks a lot,

World Pilgrim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:03 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry798468

this is a good general guide for removable drives and associated infections

the HJT forum is extremely busy and often there is a long wait for help
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 World Pilgrim

World Pilgrim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:50 PM

Thanks Chewy.

I tried running the flash.desinfector but I don't see any folder called autorun.inf and flashy.exe is still there.

What is my next step?

Thanks.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:29 AM

I have had to format and redownload mp3 player OS's, they are all different, no general rule of thumb
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 World Pilgrim

World Pilgrim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:50 AM

I brought it up to an internet cafe and the guy said "No problem, I can get your virus taken care of!". He used AVG Free Edition which spotted 52 infected files and deleted and reformatted my whole MP3 Player. Bouhou! I have no music left at all now! I only have the pride of saying I hope I won't be infecting any more computers during my travelling.

Case is over now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users