Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious Error+blue Error Screen+mystery

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ftngrave

ftngrave

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:48 PM

Hello, I was wondering if someone might be able to help me.

A little over a week ago, my computer upon after booting would say that "Windows has recovered from a serious error". After viewing Microsoft's web pages about this, I changed a setting within my operating system and the problem stopped and my os (Windows XP Professional SP2) ran fine for a week. The setting I changed I can't quite remember-it was under I think Start Menu properties and I clicked Advanced and then changed some kind of minimum and maximum numbers.

So a week later of running fine, I get this blue error screen upon booting my computer:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file:
rt2500usb.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED-AREA

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0X812122BA, 0X00000000, 0XEE201C19, 0X00000002)
***rt2500usb.sys-Address EE201C19 base at EE1F3000, Datestamp 425cd8e1

I could boot up fine in safe mode, and the appearance of the blue error screen in normal mode differed a bit on when it would pop up (but it would pop up pretty soon all the same). For some reason, just upon seeing "usb" in the name of the file that was causing the problem, I decided to unplug my Linksys Wireless-G USB Internet Card. Once I unplugged it, my operating system booted up fine and ran fine for 10 hours while I backed up my hard drive. I then turned my computer off, left town, and am returning this weekend.

So, can anyone help? What should I do to fix this blue error screen?

Thanks to anyone who can respond.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:06 AM

Here's some info on the driver file mentioned: http://www.runscanner.net/files/sys/rt2500...500usb.sys.aspx

If this is a part of your Linksys USB software, I'd suggest uninstalling the software from your Control Panel...Add/Remove Programs applet.
Then I'd look into the hidden devices in your Device Manager and remove the LinkSys adapter from there. To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

At the top of the window that opens will be a "View" menu item. Click on it, and then click on the "Show hidden devices" option.
Then scroll down through the list looking for the LinkSys device. When you find it, right click on it and select "Uninstall"
Reboot to finalize the changes.

Meanwhile, on another computer, download a fresh copy of the software/driver for this device and put it on a CD/flash drive. Then follow the instructions for installing it on your computer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users