Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want A Second Titanic?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:56 PM

I am someone who has a great interest in the Titanic - It came to me one day that it had such a short and fateful life. I think it would be great if a second Titanic was made, maybe in Belfast as the original was made there. Firstly I want to gather as many signatures as I can and then submit it to a shipbuilder and see what they think. So if your interested in this, please sign the petition :thumbsup: (You can remain anonymous on the list that appears to the public :flowers: )

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/buildas...anic/index.html

The shipping company I will most likely submit it to is the Cunard Line because the White Star Line had merged with them.

I really would like to see a second Titanic built - I am sure many other would to :trumpet:

Thanks!

David

EDIT: Fixed Anonymous description :inlove:

Edited by david28, 21 June 2008 - 07:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:07 AM

I don't get it, how can I remain anonymous if I sign my name? They have my name, they know who I am...:thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:56 AM

Below comments there is a check box

Display my name as anonymous on the signatures list
Yes, I want iPetitions to contact me on similar campaigns or petitions.

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:33 AM

It's the actual list that is seen to the public that you can remain anonymous :thumbsup:

#5 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:39 AM

For a minute I thought you must have meant, make another Titanic Movie!

Yikes.. I cannot imagine that a shipbuilder would like to build a replicate of a ship that sank in the worst shipwreck prolly in like.. ever. I could be wrong though.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:27 PM

So let me see if I get this right? You are petitioning a cruise line to recreate a ship that is a burial ground for 1,513 souls and one of the most tragic events known to mankind. Not to mention defiling the name by reusing it. Diminishing the historical facts and memories for the families by having a duplicate built.

So beyond those issues. From a purely business standpoint. The cruise line is in the business of selling passage to gain return on investment. Investors are going to shell out a lot of money to build this ship. In 1991 Carnival cruise lines spent over 200 million USD to build MS Fascination. That was 17 years ago. How much do you think it might be in todays money?

Not likely that investors would put up the money. With the almost guaranteed negative backlash of having a ship named that was part of a horrific disaster. The already cash strapped cruise industry will not risk that kind of money with not so much as a keel laid. This would be a marketing albatross beyond any scope.

I researched and I cannot find one instance of a commercial venture. Where the name of a vessel, aircraft or any other form of passage, that was part of a tragedy would be or has been reused for financial profit.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

Yes. Even the most non-superstitious of us would be wary about stepping on board that one, David. She would be a non starter.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:43 PM

I want a cruise ship named.... "Noah's Ark!!" Without the "animals". (No offense intended.)
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#9 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

Mhm I see your opinions...they all make perfect sense.

I actually was looking on Google and read some place about a second Titanic:

(Use Google Trasnlate) http://www.titanicnorden.com/fakta/titanic2.html

http://www.titanic.com/modules/newbb/viewt...21&start=20

However you might say these links are outdated :|

With all your opinions in mind - especially Animal's, I am considering removing the petition...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users