Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Speed Issue - Single Vs. Multi Files

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 robert77

robert77

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:18 PM

Hello all...

I have a personal website with a few large-ish files. While testing the download speed, I notice it only reaches 250 kilobytes per second for a single file. However, when I download two files simultaneously I get them both at 250kB/s each. I've tried this at different times of day and the results have been consistent.

My computer is set up on 7Mbps Qwest DSL. Obviously the 250kB/s is kind of low, and I am wondering why the download speed is getting capped for each file yet my total bandwidth seems about right if I try to get multiple. I am able to download single files from other sites at over 600kB/s so I am assuming Qwest is not throttling my connection.

I had a friend try the same file from my site a few times and he noted 600kB/s for the single download, no problem. My web host has said that they're not throttling any connections either, but it mystifies me why my speed would be so low.

Any ideas what this could be?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users