Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Possible To Restore Quicken Data/setup/accounts From External Drive?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dreamcatcherco

dreamcatcherco

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:48 PM

Is there anything I can do now??--I hope someone can help me fix my big ol'stupid mistake. First some background. My current OS is Vista--which is running on an HP Pavilion. I have Quicken installed. I really liked the on the fly encryption I had w/ my prior XP Pro OS and am looking for free software to duplicate the way I would encrypt files that were more sensitive--like the financial data in Quicken--or that were simply more identifying of my tastes & current interests. I have noticed that spies and spammers have a tendency to send me spam about something I have just been working on--just after I have done an internet search then saved informational files for my future reference. I wasn't sure how they were spying, but it has happened enough that it didn't seem like sheer coincidence. I have AVG running & Zone Alarm & use other software like Ad-Aware, SpyBot; Advanced Windows Care. Sometimes will do an online Trend Micro scan. Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0 is being shipped to me as I speak. I used to encrypt a good portion of my documents and my whole Quicken program and not need a password to open each file--just clicked on it & it was ready to use. This morning I downloaded a file encyption program as well as a windows washer--Androsa File Protector (does require a password to use document previously encrypted) and "Free Internet Window Washer". But when I used the File Protector I made the mistake of trying to encrypt the whole Quicken file folder. So now my Quicken data appears to be all gone. No accounts--no customization. Everything I entered is gone & Quicken says it wants to set up. Apparently System Restore isn't going to put Quicken back like it was. I do have a Seagate external drive which I thought was copying my whole drive. Apparently it isn't--just saw that this morning also. But I think the up-to-date Quicken data is on it. Is there a way to retore my Quicken as it was before I did this? I would be open to suggestions to stop the spies more effectively but I need to make any changes very inexpensively or free. Is there a way to copy my whole drive to Seagate?--it is the size of my hard drive. I have a router I was using for its hardware firewall with my prior computer (which not too long ago crashed), but I don't know if I can use it with this new computer. Wouldn't describe myself as technologically savvy so very specific directions would be helpful!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dreamcatcherco

dreamcatcherco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:14 AM

This is an update about my situation. The support forum at Androsa confirmed that what has happened is that a good portion of my Quicken is corrupted. Need to get this situation resolved since this is my bank account balance--I don't use a hard copy--I do it all on the computer. So I don't know where I am with my expenditures right now--don't know what the balance was before made this dumb mistake. NOT good. Anyone know Quicken? I'm thinking I need to reinstall Quicken. I don't remember if my program disk has the option of repairing files or if I just need to reinstall the whole program. I do have a backup file in Quicken which does not appear to be corrupted, a Quicken data file in "My Documents" and Quicken data on my external drive so something should work to get my data restored. I just do not know how to do that. I'm going to try a Quicken forum as well as here in hopes that someone will know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users