Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mscomctl.ocx Error; Unfixable?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Emblazonet

Emblazonet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:21 PM

When I try to run certain programs, such as MP3Gain and yWriter, I get the error message "Component MSCOMCTL.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." So I Googled the message, and followed the instructions given.

Mscomctl.ocx was in my system32 folder; I downloaded numerous versions to replace it, and then used the regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx to register it, through the run bar and through the command prompt, and also through the command prompt using 'Run as Administrator.' It says it has registered successfully; but the problem does not go away. I've rebooted several times. I've used both CCleaner and then Registry Booster to fix my registry. Nothing seems to help.

This happened after I installed a trial program called 'Student Life,' which is a PIM made for university/college students.

I tried restoring to a previous system restore point, but for some reason I get an error and none of my system files are touched, and everything remains the same. I assume there is a connection. I assumed there was a virus/malware problem, so I unleashed Spybot and avast!, but they returned nothing. My computer is apparently quite free of all evils.

Except inexplicably programs that rely on Mscomctl.ocx - this has something to do with Visual Basic? - just won't run and constantly return the message.

Is there any way to fix this, short of entierely reinstalling Vista, which is a pain in the rump? Thanks.

I'm on a Toshiba Satellite A200 laptop, running Vista Home Premium.

Edited by Emblazonet, 20 June 2008 - 02:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users