Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Gfx Card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TynTin

TynTin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

I wish to purchase and install a GeForce 8500 GT Graphics Card into this system. Below is an image of the specifications.
Posted Image

Would I need to possibly change any other hardware? Such as motherboard or processor.
I am adding 2GB or Random Access Memory Also, so no need to mention that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:56 PM

Hi TynTin, you will need to post your mother board specs. Go to this site http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html down load SIW and post your M/B model.
MCP
MSDST

#3 TynTin

TynTin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:56 AM

Thanks for helping.
Here is the thing you asked for:
Posted Image

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:23 AM

That says you have an AGP slot for a video card, and all I can find for the 8500gt is PCIexpress which will not fit in an AGP slot. Do you have to have an 8500gt or can you get along with something else? :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 TynTin

TynTin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:34 AM

I'm a newbie at tech. Could you please explain what you mean?

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:45 AM

Ill try to explain it as basic as I can as too what he said.

The 8500GT you are looking at is a PCI X16 interface meaning if can only fit in a PCI-Express (X16) Slot. He read that the motherboard in your computer does NOT have a PCI-Express slot but has a AGP slot.

Id tell yah to go ahead and get a little more up too date motherboard so you can get a few more updated slots and such :thumbsup:

And if your willing to also through down an extra 50-80$ Id recommend a duo-core processor.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 21 June 2008 - 09:47 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#7 TynTin

TynTin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:09 AM

I see. That was my old system that I was planning on updating. Do you think its worth upgrading it or building a completly new system? As the system we are talking about can only take DDR1 RAM.

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:52 AM

Well, there's not really much sense in upgrading your graphics card if your not going to game or watch HD movies. If you want to game though, you're not going to get good performance with even some of the better AGP graphics cards, and only a Celeron processor. I'd think it would just be better to save your money up and buy a new computer. You can get a system with a dual-core processor, DDR2 ram, and PCI Express X16 slots for just $400 or less now.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#9 TynTin

TynTin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:41 AM

Alright. Thanks for all your help. I think i'll just keep that computer in the corner as an office computer.
Thanks for all your advice everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users