Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Faulty Mobo Damage Power Adapter?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bakuryuuha

Bakuryuuha

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:04 PM

My question is pretty much stated in the title, but I'll go into more detail in hopes of getting a better answer.

I sent in my HP Pavilion dv6000 series for the "Service Enhancement Program", due to some crappy line of motherboards. When I plugged the computer in last (very shortly before sending it in), it took power, but they're telling me there's a problem with the power adapter (the part inside the laptop itself) and they want to charge me $320 to replace it.

Can the adapter be damaged by a malfunctioning mobo? I'm fairly certain the problem with the dv6000s was overheating...and is it possible to convince them they are related and to replace it?

I apologize if my info is a little scattered, but after dealing with tech support's thick accents and the general frustration of this computer, it's a little tough to think very clearly. Help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

You can look on the HP site yourself, but many of the 5000/6000 series have power jacks that are jumpered to the mobo. The power jack is not a part of the motherboard like many other models. The good news would be that the jack itself is replaceable without pulling and resoldering the motherboard. The jacks attached directly to the motherboard are the problem children, the jumpered jacks are easy to replace. If the jack is indeed jumpered, then I don't see how a motherboard could effect the jack itself. Possibly the plug on the motherboard if someone got rough with it, but that won't effect the actual powerjack itself.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Bakuryuuha

Bakuryuuha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:30 PM

Well, whatever the problem with the mobo was, it was severe enough to kill the laptop. The exact model is a pavilion dv6308nr, if that's any help.

Edited by Bakuryuuha, 21 June 2008 - 08:12 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

You returned it due to a recall and now they want to charge you? Demand to talk to a supervisor and state your dis-satisfaction. If they balk, tell them to send it back and you'll buy a Dell.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Bakuryuuha

Bakuryuuha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:13 PM

Okay, this was interesting.

I called back, and got another woman with some thick accent (I feel rude wanting to ask to speak to someone else, you know?) Luckily, she transferred me almost immediately to someone higher up.

In short, there was some sort of communication error, and it was the AC adapter/power brick/whatever that was broken. Which struck me as odd, because I didn't send it in. There was some other adapter attached to my name they claimed needed to be repaired. I got it all sorted out, though, and hopefully there'll be no more mix-ups.

Like an obstacle course getting this fixed. Cross your fingers for me, eh?

P.S. $320 for a power brick? What were they gonna do, rebuild the entire thing and try to sell it back to me?

P.P.S. Thanks for the advice, elsewise I might not have called back! Really appreciate it!

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:22 PM

Glad it's sorted out. Hope that's the end of it for you
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users