Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Forum Rule Question (hypothetical)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 imatechie

imatechie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:37 AM

Ok here is a problem that I have encountered in the past, a user or a computer somehow gets compromised by
a malicious program or trojan and somehow the passwords have been changed so neither the admin or the user
can log in. Since nobody can login, there is no way to run HJT, now do you tell the user that they have to re-install their OS because helping them would be a violation of the security rule, or if you did decide to help them, how do you know if they indeed have a problem or if they are someone up to no good.???

In my case, I normally require 234 picture ID's, a copy of a at least 5 utility bills with all matching addresses, a list of their last 10 firstborn children, their last 5 pay stubs, and 75 references before I'd even consider it. (Ok, I'm kidding, sort of. :thumbsup: ).

Fortunately, for me, most of these were on-site.

Jeff
The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:51 AM

Due to the fact that we just never know, we err on the side of caution and explain that we can not help them retrieve or change administrator passwords.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users