Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Framerate Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mikeperhaps

Mikeperhaps

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:55 AM

First and foremost, here are my system specs:

HP dv2000 "Entertainment PC" Laptop
Processor Information:
Vendor: AuthenticAMD
Speed: 2000 Mhz
2 logical processors
2 physical processors
Windows Version:
Windows Vista (64 bit)
Video Card:
NVidia GeForce 7150M/nForce 630M
Sound card:
Audio device: Speakers (Conexant High Definit
Memory:
RAM: 4029 Mb

So i start up a game, in this case, Counter-Strike: Source. I join a server, and I start playing. Everything is running smoothly and steadily for about 4 or 5 minutes - and then suddenly the framerate drops from around 40fps to around 14 or 15fps. I check my ping and see that I'm not lagging, and I check and find out that no programs have started up in the background. I wait for the game to recover, yet i wait for a few minutes before I realize i'll have to do something. So i hit alt-tab again and go to the task manager. I look for any process in the processes tab that i can blame this on, in this case, 'Task Scheduler Engine', and i hit End Process. I go back to the game, and whaddya know, it's back to 40fps

After about another 4 minutes, the problem returns.

This time I restart the game and enter a different server. After 4-5 minutes.

the problem returns.

This happens with almost every game I try to play, from Battlefield 2/2142 to Counter-Strike Source to Day of Defeat Source to World of Warcraft, the list goes on. I've upgraded my video drivers, upgraded to DX10, and uninstalled programs I've suspected as the culprits, yet the problem persists! Is this a problem of Vista incompatibility? Is this a hardware problem? Are the computer gods smiting me? If anyone has ANY suggestions, please let me know!! Thank you in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:53 AM

This may be an overheating problem. Laptops are known to get hot. Blow some canned air through the air vents in the laptop. Also, while you're using it, make sure the fan on it is not being blocked. Sometime people will put laptops on their lap in a way so the fan is blocked off.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users