Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

Hello BC.

I might get a new computer for my graduation.

I found a pretty nice gaming computer: Found At BestBuy

Now, I've got questions.

1. Does W.V. have any problems?
2. Can I play games from W. XP, like Battlefield 2, CounterStrike: Source?
3. When I was using my moms laptop [vista], every time I wanted to do something, a pop up came along. It always asked if I wanted to do what I asked for. Is there a way to disable it?

Thanks for the help.

Give me heads up for getting a vista computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:54 AM

There's a bit of a learning curve, but I've had no problems so far.
I'm not a gamer, but it looks OK. Check the game's system requirements.
Yes you can disable the security alerter
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 TynTin

TynTin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

1. Does W.V. have any problems?
Well obviously there is the small hiccup here and there, but generally no.
2. Can I play games from W. XP, like Battlefield 2, CounterStrike: Source?
Yes you can, as long as you have the correct system requirements.
3. When I was using my moms laptop [vista], every time I wanted to do something, a pop up came along. It always asked if I wanted to do what I asked for. Is there a way to disable it?
Yes, this is called User Account Control (UAC For Short), you can disable it Via Msconfig > Services > And Disabling it.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:19 AM

Vista has had some growing pains, but as it's matured things have settled down quite nicely IMO

I play lot's of XP games on Vista. If it's not supported natively, most games will work in compatibility mode.

The best way (IMO) to disable UAC is to do it through the Users applet in Control Panel. There's an option there for turning it off.

Edited by usasma, 21 June 2008 - 06:20 AM.
Thought I knew better than the spell chekcer :0)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

Some people say that you can't play XP on V because something about administrator, when they are administrator.

How to fix that?

My moms laptop always says "explorer.exe is restarting", why is that? Will it happen on all vistas?

#6 K()nT3nTs

K()nT3nTs

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:55 PM

What do you mean Play Xp on Vista? Do you mean play Xp games on Vista? You just need to check if the game is supported by vista.

#7 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:05 PM

If the game says platform: Windows XP... does that mean vista can play it?

And why cant vista play some XP games? vista should be able to do everything windows xp can do, and more.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:33 PM

If the game doesn't say it's Vista compatible, then there's a chance that it may not work.
The way to find out is to install the game in compatibility mode for XP SP2 and have it run as an Administrator. This'll make most games work on Vista - but there'll still be some that won't.

Check the support forums for the particular game to see what others have done to overcome any compatibility issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

Thanks.

Anything I should tweak or I should watch out for?

Whats the best protection for Vista?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:55 AM

I use both AVG Free and Avast Free for antivirus.
I use Windows Defender for antispyware (but my wife uses Windows Defender, AdAware, SpyBot Search & Destroy, and SpyWareBlaster)
We both use the MVPS hosts file (I use the HostsMan updater)
And we both use the Windows firewall (I've got a few special rules, but do most of the blocking through my router).

As for tweaks, I limit myself to adjusting the Desktop to the lowest resolution and color depth that I can stand (it looks ugly, but gets the job done). I also set the system for "best performance" in the Advanced tab of System Properties.

#11 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

Thanks again.

Are my new computer specs good from gaming?

#12 K()nT3nTs

K()nT3nTs

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:30 PM

Your PC is actually the version right above mine :huh: It works smooth. Plus you can upgrade ram to get better performance, but you will be fine with what you have. :huh:

Edited by K()nT3nTs, 22 June 2008 - 05:30 PM.

#13 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the help.

#14 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:27 AM

hi,,, my wife has an nvidia 8600gt 512mb gfx card in her vista pc,,, it plays just about anything well,, so you shold be ok,,,,vista has directx 10 but i installed x9 aswell and found it play's xp compat games it would not play with just x10 installed.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#15 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:23 PM

System Requirements Labs do a little test on your computer to see what games will work on your computer. Click the drop down box, select the game you want to check for compatibility, and then click the "can you RUN it?" button. It is however, just an estimate. :huh:

link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users