Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help, can't delete viruses

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 PureTragedy

PureTragedy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:03 PM

Every time I run Norton Antivirus 2005 it detects viruses, but it doesn't do anything to them, and won't let me do anything. My friend said I should re-install windows. Should I? Also, AVG keeps telling me it is finding viruses but when I click "delete" or anything else, it says that option isn't available. THEN Norton says it deletes it. But then AVG comes up with another one and the same thing happens. It keeps doing that with 2 or 3 of the same viruses over and over until I have to X out AVG. And Norton keeps telling me it's deleting the same ones. And it's usually the same url that keeps doing it.
Also, if I need to re-install windows, can I just use the disk that came with the computer? It doesn't say it has Windows on there, but I don't think the computer came with any other disks...
Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:38 PM

Where is it saying its finding these viruses?

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:51 PM

It's not a good idea to have Norton Antivirus and AVG installed at the same time. Uninstall AVG and do a manual update of Norton online. If you want a second opinion on possible virus infection run some of the online scans that the people here recommend:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/freescan/

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:55 PM

Duplicate - due to modem dropout.

Edited by Rimmer, 07 April 2005 - 11:56 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 PureTragedy

PureTragedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:55 PM

I'm sorry, I don't remember the exact addresses it was saying the viruses were from. I'll be sure to write them down next time. The AVG-Norton thing actually only comes up 2 or 3 times a day. But I'm pretty sure (not positive) it says the same thing each time.

#6 PureTragedy

PureTragedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:21 AM

modem dropout? Whats that? Why is AVG and Norton bad to have together, if I can have the others? I don't know anything about computers... :thumbsup:

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:13 AM

Modem dropout is when you have a pathetic 56kbps dial up connection and you just spent half-an-hour typing a vital message (about changing font colours -but that's another story) and you hit return and find you don't have a link to the internet anymore! :thumbsup:

You should only have one Anti-Virus program installed on your comuter but that doesn't mean you can't "invite" a different one to scan your computer online. With an online scan the Anti-Virus program is only temporarily in your system and will not conflict with any of the functions of your installed Anti-virus software.

Edited by Rimmer, 08 April 2005 - 01:14 AM.

#8 PureTragedy

PureTragedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:27 AM

Rimmer, thank you for explaining all that. :thumbsup:

But, AVG often find viruses that Norton doesn't :flowers:. Are you sure I should uninstall it?

I just scanned with Panda, and it found several infected files. But it only fixed a couple. For it to fix the rest, I would have to buy it. And I can't buy anything, because I'm broke. :trumpet:
I'm still worried about the viruses that Norton won't remove. And I hope I don't have to reinstall everything...

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:39 AM

Can you have more than one resident Anti-virus program?

Can you ===> YES
Should you =====> NO
Is it a good idea, do you get better protection====>NO

The danger, is that one antivirus program may (Read this as eventually will) see
the others definition files as viruses, and will remove them. This is not so much a
problem with manual scans, where you only run one Antivirus program at a time, if
you pay close attention to what it detects, and where. If you manually configure it to
ignore the other program, and its files, then you minimize the risk from this problem.

The big problem, is the silent threat. Most antivirus programs will scan web based
(not necessarily all, like P2P, and IM) file transfers. It is quite common, for one
antivirus program, to detect the incomming virus updates for the other. Thinking parts
of the definition files are viruses in their own right, the AV will strip these out of the
update.
The end result? Instead of having two, or even one, up to date fully functional
antivirus programs, you have two severely crippled programs, which are each
missing critical definition, and detection files .

So, it is best to have one antivirus program, and keep it up to date and use it
properly.
Then, if you experience a problem, or question its efficicacy, you run an online scan.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 PureTragedy

PureTragedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:40 AM

Thank you guys for the tips on that. I uninstalled AVG. And I'm sure that will fix the problem about it detecting the same viruses... because I just found out that it was detecting them from Norton's quarantined.
I'll try out those other online anti-virus programs, and hopefully Ill somehow get the problem fixed. If not, I shall be returning..

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:33 AM

Also, run your scans while in "SAFE MODE" as that will minimize the conflict of files being in use while you're trying to delete them. You will not be allowed to delete files that are in use).

If you are using Win XP or ME and do find any infections, disable "system restore" before you allow the anti-virus program to continue its deleting of the files, otherwise system restore will just reestablish them. After you are sure your system is cleaned (your Norton resident scan plus either an updated Panda or Trend Micro web scan), turn system restore back on and establish a new restore point.

Additionally, you should install, update, setup and use Microsoft's Beta Anti-Spy and malware application.

You can have various and sundry anti-spyware programs resident on your computer - just not multiple resident anti-virus aps or multiple firewalls as those will conflict with each other.

Microsoft Antispyware Beta (freeware): http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx

Try this one from Microsoft too (freeware):
Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (Win XP and Win 2000):
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

Let us know if this helped resolve your problem.

Edited by Enthusiast, 08 April 2005 - 07:42 AM.

#12 PureTragedy

PureTragedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:58 PM

Thank you, I will try that. A few questions though..
How do I disable "system restore"? And do I disable it while it's still scanning, after it's found something? And does that apply to everything... Norton and all the antispywares?
Also, I can't scan Norton in safe mode, so... what do I do with it?

Sorry for all these questions... and thanks again.

#13 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:38 PM

System Restore is controlled from 'System Properties' window.
If you have XP you can get there by Start>right-click on 'My Computer'>click 'Properties'. The 'System Properties' window will open and there is a tab for 'System Restore'.

There is a tick-box called "Turn off System Restore". If there is no tick then System Restore is operating, saving critical system files to Restore Points which are like a snapshot of your system at different times. If you have a major problem with windows - like a system file corruption or a new driver that screws up some part of your hardware you can use System Restore to "roll-back" the sytem to that previous time. Its a valuable safety net. If you put a tick in the tick-box Windows deletes ALL the restore points. You have no safety net.

Why can't you run Norton AV in Safe Mode? Is there an error message? There should not be a problem doing this :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 08 April 2005 - 08:39 PM.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:41 PM

You should be able to scan Norton in safe mode. Access the scan through the start/programs/Norton method.

If the computer is infected with a virus, then it is possible that the virus could be backed up by System Restore. By default, Windows prevents System Restore from being modified by outside programs. As a result, there is the possibility that you could restore a virus-infected file, or that the on-line scanners would detect the virus in that location.

Disabling System Restore does not delete or remove any of your personal data from your computer. The only files removed are those that System Restore created, the restore points. Using System Restore to revert to a previously saved restore point does not affect any of your personal data files or any items in your My Documents folder. For more information search the Microsoft Windows Help (Click Start > Help and Support) and search for "System Restore Overview" and "Understanding System Restore." These documents explain what System Restore is, how it works, and more information about the effects of turning it on or off.

Note:

You must be logged in as an Administrator to do this. If you are not logged in as an Administrator, the System Restore tab will not be displayed. If you do not know how to log in as Administrator, contact your system administrator (if you are on a network), the computer manufacturer, or installer.
o Turning off System Restore will delete all previous restore points. You must create new restore points once you turn System Restore back on.

To turn off Windows XP System Restore

1. Click Start > Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer
2. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Check the "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives" check box that says "turn off system restore"

Above info from http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...src=sec_doc_nam

Edited by Enthusiast, 08 April 2005 - 08:42 PM.

#15 PureTragedy

PureTragedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:58 PM

I did the safe mode again and Norton still didn't work. It says that it encountered a problem and needs to close. It had details but I didn't understand them and they were long...
Oh, and I couldn't even find Norton on the start menu...
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users