Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not Recognizing All Usb Devices

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GimmickBMX

GimmickBMX

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

I plugged my zune in the other day, and the software wouldn't recognize it, then plugged in my sansa mp3, and the computer didn't recognize it either. However, the computer is charging the devices and my mouse and keyboard are usb and they work. Also, i tried my flash drive, and that works fine.
I know they were just working a few days ago, so i tried to roll back my computer a few days with windows system restore, that didn't help. I tried starting up my computer with the device plugged in and nothing different.
In the device manager, "other devices", "pci modem", "sm bus controller", and if my zune is plugged in "zune" all have a yellow ! by them. I've tried updating the drivers with no luck-its asking for a cd, which i don't have.
I've searched the microsoft site, zune forum, and google and haven't gotten anywhere.

I have a dell dimension E510, xp pro sp2, 1 gb ram

Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:36 AM

Try going into the Device Manager and uninstalling the drivers that have the exclamation marks, reboot the computer and the installation wizard should search for the proper drivers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 GimmickBMX

GimmickBMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:12 AM

after i rebooted, it goes to 'found new hardware wizard' for pci modem and is asking, 'if your hardware came with an installation cd or floppy disk, insert it now'. would that be the windows xp cd? i don't have that. could i get the driver from the internet?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:47 AM

The installation wizard is asking you if there was a CD that came with the USB devices. You don't want to use the XP installation CD, see if you can allow the wizard to find the appropriate drivers for the devices. If these were working previously with the native drivers of XP, then it should be able to find the proper drivers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:10 AM

If you don't use that modem...you may want to disable it in the BIOS (if it's onboard), rather than install it.

Your Dell drivers: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

Louis

#6 GimmickBMX

GimmickBMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:37 AM

thanks for the help, i was able to update the pci modem without any software, but sm bus controller wouldn't update. what dell driver might it be that would allow me to update sm bus controller?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:15 PM

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-013541.htm

Louis

#8 GimmickBMX

GimmickBMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for the link, that took care of the yellow ! by sm bus controller. but i still cannot get the computer to accept either mp3 player. after i updated the sbc driver i tried reinstalling the zune software, but i still just get an error when i plug in the device. With my sansa mp3, i have the software cd and tried updating with that in but still got the same error.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:24 AM

It could be your onboard USB ports...which are the problem...not the devices.

Louis

#10 GimmickBMX

GimmickBMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:07 PM

yeah, i got the devices to work in another computer, but the computer is old and really slow, so i want to fix mine. is there any way the computer would show a problem with the onboard usb ports? also, my mouse and keyboard are usb and work and i can transfer data from a usb flash drive.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

Just buy a USB 2.0 card...insert same and forget about those onboard USB ports.

Cost? Less than $10.

Louis

#12 GimmickBMX

GimmickBMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:17 PM

are you suggesting i put that in my older computer to make it sync faster(i'm pretty sure its usb 1), or putting it in my better computer?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

Whichever, both :thumbsup:.

XP supports USB 2.0, so it doesn't matter how old or how new the system hardware is...the card will work in any desktop, as long as it finds a vacant PCI slot :huh:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users