Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"tick" Noise? What Could It Be?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TTC

TTC

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

Hey everyone, I have a bit of an odd problem. Every once and awhile, my computer makes a random "tick" noise. It is not a continuous noise; but it can happen once to three times every couple of hours.

Some things to note...

1. My computer currently runs with one side of its panel off with a desk fan constantly blowing on it. This was done to resolve a overheating problem within the computer. This issue began soon after I began to utilize the desk fan to help keep it cool.

2. The computer is two years old with not the best parts in the world: It's an HP Media Center 7680n. It has all the same specifications as the original model, but I have replaced the 7300 LE card with a 7300 GT card (as the old one overheated/fan partly melted. >>; )

3. I ran a defrag yesterday because I heard that if the problem was the hard drive that that a) can help b ) can be used as a reference point as to how much fragmentation is going on with the hard drive. I also heard that if the amount of fragmented files goes up even after a defrag, that the hard drive is definately failing. I ran a defrag today, and saw no other fragmented files. I heard that tick noises can sometimes be caused by a hard drive failing so...Does this prove that my hard drive isn't failing?

4. My desk fan has a motor in it that sometimes causes interference with the speakers. Could it be that the fan's motor is creating occasional interference with one of the other parts?

Thanks for the help,

TTC

/edit: During the overheating issues, both hard drives in my pc were running between 42C-50C. Now they both run around 36C-44C at most.

/final edit: found source; it turned out the noise was coming from behind the computer ...the heater was making clicking noises...not the tower. PHEW! Problem solved, lol. Please delete this thread.

Edited by TTC, 19 June 2008 - 04:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:35 PM

Thank you for posting the resolution
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users