Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Video Card?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 longhaireddwb

longhaireddwb

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

Well, this is what I want to do. I want to be able to record TV shows on my computer so that I can watch them after I get home from work at 6:00am on my HDTV without putting them on a disc or buying a DVD Recorder.

I know I'll need a TV card and a new video card. The video card I have only has one output on it for my monitor. I was told that I can't just put a splitter in that port and send the signal to both TV and monitor. So a friend of mine gave me a video card that says will help me. FREE!

So this is what I have, Dell deminsion E510 computer and the card he gave me is a Visiontek X1300 512MB.

Will this card go into my computer? (I don't even know if theres a hole/slot to put it into or if its the right size). And will it help me to connect my computer to my new flat panel HDTV (audio and video)?

I will need to use about a 15ft cord of some type to connect the two. What type of cord will I need?

Help this old guy to understand what I'm doing. I'm no computer guy so this is way over my head but I always jump in with both feet when I do something. Please Help!!

I'll check back tomorrow to see if anyone has answered. I got to get ready for work now. Thanks again! Jerry...

Edited by longhaireddwb, 19 June 2008 - 04:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:44 AM

I can't say about connecting the two together, I've not done anything like that. But from what I've found out the card should work in your computer. It's a PCIe card and you have a PCIe slot on your board. Your manual should have a drawing or picture showing the slots. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:50 AM

I'm don't know a lot about this stuff, but you should be able to get a DVI to HDMI adapter for your graphics card. The graphics card should have one monitor port on it that is white. That is DVI. I think most HD TV's have ports for HDMI. So you should be able to get an adapter to go from your computer to your tv. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812186026

To watch/record TV on your computer you can get a TV tuner card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....22&name=Yes . I'm not sure if all of them record TV, but you could probably find programs that would let you anyway.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 longhaireddwb

longhaireddwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

Wildabeast, I'll see if it will fit now sense someone said it may fit.

Sterling14, Thanks for the heads up on the cord and the names of the plugs. My computer don't have the DVI right now but the new card does. And my TV has the HDMI so if all works right I'll be in buisness. I'll see about getting a TV Tuner card next.

Thanks again for the help here and I'll let you know how it turns out! Jerry... :huh:

#5 longhaireddwb

longhaireddwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:55 PM

I gave it hell guys and found out that I don't have the proper slot in my computer to put that card. I checked all the slots and none of them were a match to the layout of the card. Damn! Oh well, It was free so I'm not out any money. Thanks again for your help with this. Jerry...

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:15 AM

Go to this site http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html down load SIW and post your M/B model.

I got that from Monty007 on another thread, you can do this and then we can figure out what you need, compared to what you have...if you want... :thumbsup:

Edited by Wildabeast, 21 June 2008 - 04:15 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users