Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Professional Disk - Cd Rom Wont Read It

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:28 PM

Well i wanna reinstall windows with a Xp Professional disk and when i put it in then restart. its ment to say press any key to "enter" and its not doing that. its going blank then just loading up as normal, any ideas on how to fix this?

The computer is Compaq aswell.

Thanks.

Edited by samuel3, 19 June 2008 - 01:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:49 PM

Have you set BIOS to Boot from CDROM?

#3 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

I havent Looked at the bios yet, but i reinstalled windows with another disk earlier on before, and that was all fine.. and the CD - Rom read it.

#4 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:38 PM

It looks like the problem was the CD, not the BIOS setting.

Thanks for letting us know.

#5 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:31 AM

So what do i do?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:53 AM

The CD might be smudged/scratched/damaged. Wipe it carefully with a dry soft cloth and try again. If that doesn't work, do you another CD you can try? Maybe borrow one from a friend? You could also try cleaning your CD drive with one of those drive cleaning kits to rule that out as a possibility.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:21 AM

Right there is no smudges/scratches/damage and the disk works fine, ive tryed it on another computer, but when i put it on the computer i want to reinstall windows with is doesn't say press any key to enter cd its ment to say that..

but when i put the disk in.. i go into my computer and i see that Cd Rom disk is there, and when i click on it, it freezes

Then i restart, and wait for it.. to boot from Cd, and it goes all blank and has a little icon like this _ in the top left hand corner then it stays blank. then i take the disk out then its goes to the log in screen for the main users of the computer.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:54 PM

Post #2...

Louis

#9 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:50 AM

Guys... i really do need help..

#10 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:02 AM

Right there is no smudges/scratches/damage and the disk works fine, ive tryed it on another computer, but when i put it on the computer i want to reinstall windows with is doesn't say press any key to enter cd its ment to say that..

but when i put the disk in.. i go into my computer and i see that Cd Rom disk is there, and when i click on it, it freezes

Then i restart, and wait for it.. to boot from Cd, and it goes all blank and has a little icon like this _ in the top left hand corner then it stays blank. then i take the disk out then its goes to the log in screen for the main users of the computer.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:16 AM

If another disk worked successfully and this one doesn't - then it's gotta be the disk.

You can invest in a disk cleaning/repair machine and it may fix it. But, then again, it may not.

I'd suggest making a copy of the disk that worked for you previously - and using that one.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:34 AM

How do you make a copy of the disk?

And i dont know how it would be the disk i have now. as it works fine on my other computer.

Edited by samuel3, 21 June 2008 - 08:35 AM.

#13 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:41 AM

According to this article normal XP installation CD's bought from MIcrosoft may not work on Compaq computers. They usually come with "recovery CD's" which are different from the commercial type bought at the local computer shop(or on loan from your buddies). Did you double check that the BIOS settings are set to boot from CDROM? I know that you stated that you did this previously, but it will do no harm to double check. You can purchase recovery CD's for your computer here:

http://www.gennersales.co.uk/recovery/compaq.htm
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#14 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:01 AM

Yes i checked 3 times, that its set to CD Rom boot is first.

#15 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:05 AM

ok.. so any idea on how to get 1 of them disks and what one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users