Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect To An External Hdd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 firefighter17103

firefighter17103

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:19 AM

I have a new hdd enclosure...I put my old hdd in which has xp home loaded. I am trying to transfer music over but My Computer does not show it, But Disk Management shows it as disk 1 w/ no drive letter. On right click only Delete Volume, and Help...Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 firefighter17103

firefighter17103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:04 AM

any ideas??? thanks.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:11 PM

Has the disk been initialized and formatted?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 firefighter17103

firefighter17103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:43 PM

I have not formatted it as there are files i need off of it....I belive it is ntfs formated... has win xp home

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

Did you check to see if the jumper on the hard drive...is in tune with what the enclosure wants?

When I had enclosures, they all wanted the jumper set to Slave, while a boot drive normally has the jumper set to Master or C/S.

Louis

#6 JamieH

JamieH

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:17 PM

Go to Disk Management, right click on the drive, choose "Change Drive Letter And Paths", then give it a drive letter.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:53 AM

Right click on Start> Explore. Click on the external hdd and it's contents will show in the right portion of the screen. You can click and drag files from there to the C: drive and drop them there. When you drag the file down the the options you will see them hight light in blue, drag the file down till the C: drive is high light, and drop the file there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users