Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp Freezes At Startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie929

Charlie929

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:57 PM

My computor freezes up at start up. Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 reboots to get to the "Windows" startup screen. Every now and then I get "Disc Read Error" and it says to reboot. It started out as just freezing up during web surfing or reading email (not spam) or just when I tried to open something from the toolbar. Then I would reboot and go through the motions again. I ran all sorts of anti virus and spyware tools which seemed to help at the time but it lasted maybe a day. Is this possibly a hardware issue? Video card? I had to replace the motherboard and video card in the past. It seems to be intermittant because the crap bucket is working now.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Charlie929

Charlie929
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

Done, and it's up n running. Does that mean it's fixed? or is there something else I should do?
Thanks for the help here.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

Done, and it's up n running. Does that mean it's fixed? or is there something else I should do?
Thanks for the help here.

Chkdsk probably repaired some bad sectors or files on your hard drive. This may or may not be a permanent fix depending on the condition of the drive itself. For right now, if things are well, leave it be. If it starts to give you more problems then you should consider downloading a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer of the hard drive to determine whether it is going bad or not.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 Charlie929

Charlie929
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:57 PM

ok, it's doing it again. i got this "fourth master hard drive error"......sounds bad

#6 Charlie929

Charlie929
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

Now it won't boot up. It gets hung up and give a message "reboot and install correct boot media" or something to that effect. or maybe it was." pick up tower and toss it across the room then press reboot"

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

I think you should run a diagnostic check on the hard drive. Go to the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive and download their diagnostic test to test your drive. You will be able to create a bootable CD, so it won't matter that Windows doesn't boot.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users