Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thermal Event Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ssummers

ssummers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:03 PM

Hi, I have a Dell 4700 pc and for the last couple weeks, when I turn it on half the time, within 5 minutes it shuts itself down. When you turn it back on, it tells you the shut down was due to a "thermal event" and guides you to press F1.
Than today it did it again, and told me it failed at checkpoint [Ithr].
Can anyone tell me what this thing is doing? I've used compressed air to clean out the vents but that didnt do anything as far as i can tell.
Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:10 AM

Hi ssummers, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Have you opened the case and cleaned it out?

There are electronics inside the case that are very susceptible to electrostatic discharges, to protect your computer, touch the metal of the case to discharge yourself of any charges your body may have stored before touching any of the components inside. As a safety precaution you should unplug the computer to avoid electrical shock.

The most critical place to keep clean is the heat sink and fan on the CPU, if dust accumulates there it can cause thermal shutdowns. If you take a pencil and place it inside the fan it will it will keep the fan blades from spinning while you blow out the fan and heat sink.

Edited by dc3, 19 June 2008 - 04:54 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users