Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys And C:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MOCHELP

MOCHELP

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

CD drive (D:) on my system doesn’t even exist, I have one DVD drive player and one DVD/CD burner named (F:) and (N:). When trying to manage drive letters in control panel under administrative tools disk management CD drive (D:) does not even show up, I usually have this letter reserved for an external hard drive, now none of my short cuts icons etc will work because I cannot change this letter back. The actual name of this mysterious drive in device manager is WDC WD3000JS-60PDB0, the drivers it uses is C:\windows\system32\Drivers\disk.sys and C:\windows\system32\drivers\PartMgr.sys any ideas on how to remove this. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:51 PM

Well...you should use Disk Management to change drive letters...with the understanding that you cannot assign a letter that is already taken by any drive attached...until you change that drive's letter :thumbsup:.

This explains it better, Hard Drive Letter Assignments - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...844&sd=tech

Louis

#3 MOCHELP

MOCHELP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:45 PM

Your suggested solution will not work considering that (D:) will never show up as a letter to change under disk management, when I right click and explore start (D:) is a drive but under disk management it is not even listed. See attached pics.

Thanks

Attached Files

• Attached File  PIC1.jpg   12.13KB   3 downloads
  • Attached File  PIC2.jpg   79.29KB   18 downloads

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

First of all...it's not my solution.

I merely provided MS info (which I know to be accurate) on how to do what it is that you say you want to do.

If you don't want to read the instructions and follow them, that's perfectly fine with me.

Disk Management reflects all the current drives attached to the system, from what I see.

In Windows, the only drive letter which can never be changed (other than by replacing it) is the boot/system partition, which we call C:. And it can be changed once a different drive becomes the boot drive/partition.

Louis

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:29 PM

What happens if you uninstall the driver for this mysterious D: drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 MOCHELP

MOCHELP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:06 PM

I can uninstall the drivers and reboot, the volume does not disappear and the drivers are reinstalled and working once again on restart, I tried deleting the driver file from system32 folder and renaming it .old it just replaces itself immediately.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:15 PM

Do you have any CD/DVD burning applications installed such as IsoBuster or UltraISO. These programs sometimes create virtual CD drives that then get assigned a drive letter.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:15 PM

From what I see...WDC WD3000JS-60PDB0 is a hard drive, not an optical drive.

The fact that it has the letter D: would indicate to me that, at some time, you had connected a hard drive on your Secondary Master cable end...or you have one set up that way now.

That would explain why your optical drives have other letter assignments.

Louis

#9 MOCHELP

MOCHELP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:35 AM

I Thank all of you for your help an participation, I un installed Power ISO and the mysterious (D:) drive disappeared, thank you.

#10 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:49 AM

Glad you figured it out...That is usually the way it goes...Something simple, but not obvious.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users