Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Moniter Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jacko16jacko

jacko16jacko

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

Hi, a few days ago my laptop screen cracked, and i was not able to function it well. So i thought i would use and external moniter, i set it up and the external moniter was working fine and i operated using it for about 2 days then when i turned my laptop off today i went to start it back up again later, but for some reason the external moniter wasnt working, but for some reason whenit was working it seemed to only work when it got past the windows xp loading up stage just before it showed the desktop came up so at the start it had no signal or no image and now when i start it, its going no where its obviously not gettin past the xp stage for some reason, i dont know what up but its obviously asking me if i want to start the laptop in safe mode or something but i cant see my laptop screen, is there any other ways i can get my external to work, iv tried function f4 but doesnt seem to work. thanks alot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:20 PM

Hi jacko16jacko, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Ok...I have to ask, how did the screen get cracked? If you had an event significant enough to crack the screen I would think that other effects of this trauma might just follow?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jacko16jacko

jacko16jacko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:55 AM

Hi jacko16jacko, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Ok...I have to ask, how did the screen get cracked? If you had an event significant enough to crack the screen I would think that other effects of this trauma might just follow?

I was angry and hit the screen, at the time it wasn't to bad just gradually got worse, and then eventually you were not able to operate using the laptop screen so i used my external, if the case is that its effected the whole laptop and has gradually got worse is this going to effect my hardrive as i have a lot of important documents. thanks.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:17 AM

You should be able to purchase an external case for the hdd for around twenty bucks. I would put the hdd in that and connect it to another computer and see if you can access the files. If you can you should transfer your important files to a removable media, like CDs, DVDs, or a flash drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jacko16jacko

jacko16jacko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:21 AM

Thanks, i appreciate the help, and i partially understand im just not to sure as to what a external case for the hdd is? Also is there any point in gettin the laptop repaired if it needs a new screen or is this signs of a damaged hardrive. thanks.

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:22 AM

Here is an example of a laptop HDD enclosure:

http://www.laptoplifestyle.net/laptop_hard...e_review_4.html

As far as replacing the screen, can you give the make and model of your laptop? We can do a search for a replacement which may or may not be a viable option (cost). Most replacement parts have come down in price in the recent past few years but not all.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 jacko16jacko

jacko16jacko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:37 AM

Thanks alot for that,
my laptop is a hp pavillion dv2000, had a year garuantee which has now run out but it is insured, a quote for the price of the screen would be useful please, so i can decided weather to save and buy a new one or replace the screen. thanks.

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:01 AM

Here are a couple to look at:

http://www.smartmicrousa.com/HP_PAVILION_D...LCD_SCREEN.aspx

http://www.priorityelectronics.com/hp/b141ew01-1.htm

You can probably buy a brand new laptop for less than $1000.00 that will fit your needs nicely...Even less if you don't need all of the bells and whistles...

#9 starfireone

starfireone

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hi Jacko16jacko,

Don't forget that when puting out the money for the new LCD screen
that you also have to account for the labor of a new LCD being replaced
if you are not doing it yourself. Replacing the LCD screen can be a real
pain in the butt sometimes.

If you are on a poor mans budget, which most of us are, than you might
consider looking at buying a refurbished laptop if you decide to buy
another laptop instead of replacing the LCD screen. I have two and
they both work perfectly.

Anyway you might look at your bios settings and make sure there is
no setting that needs to be enabled for an external monitor to work.
Also sometimes you need to press a function key on the laptop keyboard
in order for an external monitor to be active. The function keys are normally
in a different color like blue or red.

Hope my suggestions are of some help.

Thanks
Starfireone

www.nickscomputerfix.com

#10 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:48 AM

Good point about the function keys...Completely forgot about them...Also some (desktop) monitors have a power button on them which may have to turned back on when the system is being re-booted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users