Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello,i Need Help With A Few Big Problems I've Been Having...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 theverycrazyman

theverycrazyman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:11 PM

Hi, I'm hoping that you guys help me out here... :thumbsup:

I've got a few problems I've been having since...I'd say, the beginning of the year.

1.Blank Control Panel Icons

Attached File  Control_Panel_icons.JPG   91.7KB   18 downloads
As seen here, the three icons at the top appeared after I uninstalled a theme pack called FlyaKite OSX.
(I don't use it anymore, It had viruses, took up too many resources.)

From what I can tell, these were Control Panel programs, but don't do anything when I try to start them. I don't know which ones are missing. I've tried starting them from their original locations by looking at the Properties of these icons, but still nothing.

2.Can't Add/Remove Programs

When I click the Add or Remove Programs icon, the hourglass mouse shows for about a second. Then, I hear the "error.wav" sound, then nothing happens.

3.Can't Install Programs With Newer Installers.

I'm unable to install many new programs like Firefox 3. It looks like only a certain kind of .exe installer is affected,but it's used in almost every new program I've wanted to try.Like Add/Remove Programs, nothing happens when I click on them except for a brief hourglass icon.
I noticed that older programs that have the old,full screened windowed Installshield Wizard install fine.(Like Resident Evil 1, 2, etc.)
The Windows Installer Service is turned off by default, but even if I start it again, it doesn't change anything.

4.Can't install Updates At All

When I click the Windows update notifications in the taskbar, it always says the there was an error. If I try to update from the Microsoft website, it never finishes checking for updates.If I try to download the newest installer from the website, it can't install either!

---

I have tried virus scans with ZoneAlarm multiple times, but it never fixed any of these problems. It's really bugging me as to what is causing this problem. Hijackthis doesn't show anything suspicious either.I've tried everything that I could think of as of now.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

Hi, I'm hoping that you guys help me out here... :thumbsup:

I've got a few problems I've been having since...I'd say, the beginning of the year.

1.Blank Control Panel Icons

Attached File  Control_Panel_icons.JPG   91.7KB   18 downloads
As seen here, the three icons at the top appeared after I uninstalled a theme pack called FlyaKite OSX.
(I don't use it anymore, It had viruses, took up too many resources.)

From what I can tell, these were Control Panel programs, but don't do anything when I try to start them. I don't know which ones are missing. I've tried starting them from their original locations by looking at the Properties of these icons, but still nothing.

2.Can't Add/Remove Programs

When I click the Add or Remove Programs icon, the hourglass mouse shows for about a second. Then, I hear the "error.wav" sound, then nothing happens.

3.Can't Install Programs With Newer Installers.

I'm unable to install many new programs like Firefox 3. It looks like only a certain kind of .exe installer is affected,but it's used in almost every new program I've wanted to try.Like Add/Remove Programs, nothing happens when I click on them except for a brief hourglass icon.
I noticed that older programs that have the old,full screened windowed Installshield Wizard install fine.(Like Resident Evil 1, 2, etc.)
The Windows Installer Service is turned off by default, but even if I start it again, it doesn't change anything.

4.Can't install Updates At All

When I click the Windows update notifications in the taskbar, it always says the there was an error. If I try to update from the Microsoft website, it never finishes checking for updates.If I try to download the newest installer from the website, it can't install either!

---

I have tried virus scans with ZoneAlarm multiple times, but it never fixed any of these problems. It's really bugging me as to what is causing this problem. Hijackthis doesn't show anything suspicious either.I've tried everything that I could think of as of now.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I'm going way out on a limb here and suggest that most all of the problems that you have described here are probably malware related. If I were you I would start a new topic in "Am I Infected, What do I do" in the security section:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

They are much better prepaired to handle these types of issues. I suspect that you have some kind of "critter" still hanging around in there somewhere.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 theverycrazyman

theverycrazyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

Thanks anyway.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:31 PM

Try running the Remove Restrictions Tool.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 theverycrazyman

theverycrazyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:38 PM

Nothing happens when I try to start the program.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:49 PM

Try the fixes at Kelly's Korner.

Remove Add or Remove Restrictions - #208 on the right.
Lift Restrictions - TM, Regedit and CMD - #275 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .reg/.vbs file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry/run the script. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 theverycrazyman

theverycrazyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the site.I used the fixes that you suggested and others that I found helpful, and my computer is a little faster. :flowers:

But as I expected, I still have all of the problems I listed. :thumbsup:

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:18 PM

Do your ZoneAlarm scans show any signs of infection?

Try running a full system scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. If it finds anything post the log back here.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users