Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antrispy Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 little_john

little_john

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:59 PM

I have searched the site and I think I know where to begin, but I haven't described my system to anyone. I have xp home addition. What other system information is needed before I can begin fixing my AntiSpy problem?
Regards,
John

Remember:
If you don't have fun,
You don't have anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Richard Fu

Richard Fu

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:56 PM

You need to tell us whats the problem.

#3 little_john

little_john
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

I was viewing a video from a new web site and it said I needed a video codec to view the video. I said ok. I now get a AntiSpy screen and a AntiSpy popup. I went through the process of uninstalling it and then it appeared in Internet Explorer. I did what I could to get rid of cookies and it seemed to be gone. When I started the PC the next day, it was back.

I recently left Comcast for Verizon and the free McAffee I had from Comcast doesn't seem to be operational. I will need to get a good anti virus program, maby Verizon offers something for free.

I am at work now and the infected computer is at home. I am planning, once I get your OK, to attack it at home and log onto this forum from there. Maybe this weekend. After I get this fixed, I would like to use this site get protected and improve the performance of that PC.

Please advise on what I should do next.
Regards,
John

Remember:
If you don't have fun,
You don't have anything.

#4 Richard Fu

Richard Fu

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:31 PM

Can you download anything?

#5 little_john

little_john
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:56 PM

I believe so, I haven't really tried. I wanted to get your blessing before moving forward with the recommended steps I have found on this site.
Regards,
John

Remember:
If you don't have fun,
You don't have anything.

#6 Richard Fu

Richard Fu

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:00 PM

Download Malwarebytes Anti malware.
Download
Then update.
Then scan your computer and click remove selected.
Then, tell us how the computer is doing on a post with the log.

#7 little_john

little_john
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:02 PM

I will be working on that PC at home in the days to come. I will log into this site when I am doing that. I will get direction from this site as to what I do next. There was a post where someone gave a detailed outline of what to do to get rid of this, I printed that out and will follow it when I get home tonight.
Regards,
John

Remember:
If you don't have fun,
You don't have anything.

#8 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

hi little_john,

i believe you are referring to one of the self help guids. you may do that, but you should also post a hijackthis log and other required information, to make sure your pc is completely cleaned of malware. Give this a read: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

for others, please bare this in mind: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/126946/a-reminder-to-our-members-regarding-malware-logs/

thanks.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#9 little_john

little_john
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:27 AM

Hi there, me again. I have been putting this antivirus thing off because I get frustrated with computers. When I last sat here I couldn't do 2 keystrokes without the antispy popup. The spybotSD I had would get 98% through a full scan and the computer would hard reset. I decided to step back and shut it down. I told my daughter not to touch it. Yesterday I looked into the living room and here is one of her little friends, on this computer, on myspace. No problems they said. She had to have hit OK on all the antispy stuff to have it actually go away, right? Or was it just on my account?

This evening I ran the Malware Richard recommended and things seem to be going fine now. I did a quick scan and had it fix what it could. I think I need to post the log, correct? I know there are instructions for doing this somewhere here, I just need to get better at searching. I someone has a link handy for this how-to, I would be in your debt.

Is it safe to assume this website will help me with all the other things I want to straighten out on my computer? I would like to find a way my daughter can have her account with aim and her music stuff, without my account being slowed down with im starting up and the slow startups that seem to happen when she uses a computer. She does not quite understand how to be responsible, and thinks she knows everything.

Sorry about the ramble.

Question: Richard, I know a Richard Fu that used to work at Tektronix where I orked a few years back, that's not you, is it?

Regards,
John
Regards,
John

Remember:
If you don't have fun,
You don't have anything.

#10 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:42 AM

little_john,

Whilst Malwarebytes' Antimalware is a great programme and I try to assist in its progress of detection and spreading, you need to bare in mind that you are most likely still infected. No tool can remove all malware / spyware, as there are often files that are not yet detected by a great many tools. To make sure you are no longer compromised, you need to follow the steps I mentioned in my previous post.

Thanks.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users