Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Recorder

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flavius

flavius

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:22 PM

hi in my previous post HARDWARE hamluis hinted that the composite video cable with one white phono and one yellow phono could not connect to my old laptop so i tackled the problem of transfering the recorded material from my sharps viewcam to my pc to use with windows movie maker 2.1 by conecting the two phonos to my philips dvd recorder and transfering the Hi8 tape contents to a dvd rw disc which came out as a fine recording both visual and audio, the problem is my dvd rom/ cd writer will not identify the recorded dvd disc but will play bought movies on dvd so what is going wrong? can any one suggest a method of getting my viewcam recordings to pc without a fortune being spent, cheers finbar
optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:55 PM

You might want to look into this device a little more
KWorld Xpert DVD Maker USB 2.0 Video Capture Device

Edited by garmanma, 18 June 2008 - 02:56 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:49 PM

garmanma happy birthday first, the link is ace and lead me to a site in this country(england) misco.co.ukwho do the same thing so i have left them an email and should know something shortly,thanks again for the link, do you now any one who might throw so light on the question of why the recorded dvd from the philips dvd recorder will not play on my dvd rom / cd writer cheers finbar

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:27 PM

You need the right codecs in order for DVDs to play properly on your system.

There are various codecs for various video formats...so users sometimes have problems viewing files which they believe they ought to be capable of viewing.

Using Codecs - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme.../faq/codec.mspx

I suggest that you download and install the K-lite Codec Pack, http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/

What program are you using to view these files with?

Louis

#5 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:38 AM

thanks louis, i am using vlc from videolan and it as been playing pretty much what ever i have thrown at it i only use wmp11 for my music as it does seem to recognise much else, i have just this minute switch on and wanted to reply to you straight away so now i am going to try your two links, if i succeed in in any of my endevers it down to the support of you guys (garmanma) and will post any satisfactory results, cheers finbar

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:23 AM

I've never done it the way you have, so I ask this, do you need to finalize the disk? When I transfer video from VCR to DVD on my player I have to finalize the disk before it will work in anything besides the player I transfered with...
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:34 AM

philips dvd recorder

Assuming this is a stand alone DVD recorder.

why the recorded dvd from the philips dvd recorder will not play on my dvd rom / cd writer cheers finbar

I finalize the DVD-RW with my stand alone DVD recorder. you can always use the stand alone DVD recorder to un-finalize the DVD RW, or erase DVD to use again.
There's a limit to how many times you can erase a disc.
It should play on your PC.
But if it doesn't.
I do this; use the PC's DVD drive and Nero (or equivalent) to import the video. If nero can't read the drive, then I copy the TS folders to the hard drive. from there I use Nero 6 Ultra to open the video as follows.

1. Place the finalized DVD in your PC's DVD tray.
2. Open Nero.
3. choose “Make a DVD”
4. Choose “Import Video”
5. click on the DVD drive that your disc is in. Or video TS folder on the Hard drive.
6. Nero will now import the VOB files from the DVD.
7. Click on the VOB video file.
8. Click on the “Export” button.
9. Click the configure button to check the audio video format. (I change the audio from “automatic” to LPCM because my video editor only recognizes LPCM.)

Nero will convert the Video to an MPEG-2 where you can view it, burn it, or store it on your hard drive.

Does Windows Movie maker support Mpeg2 video's? I didn't think it did, but could be wrong.

If you don't have a video editor, sometimes a decent editor will come bundled with a camcorder, or DVD drive when you buy it. for example Arcsoft Showbiz was on the install disc for a camcorder I bought. Arcsoft Showbiz is a decent video editor that will import and export video's. Nero came with a DVD burner.

Hope this helps.

Edited by 12x48y, 19 June 2008 - 05:21 PM.

#8 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:39 PM

wildabeast thanks for the reminder read on you will understand. 12x48y thanks to you also, you both reminded me about finalizing the disc, yes the philips3380 is stand alone and what i record on it will play on the philips dvd player in the bedroom but if i have made a recording for someone else i have to finalize it first before it will play for them,what a plonker, 12x48y i don't have a dvdwriter only dvd rom i have been outbid twice on ebay for an external dvd writer but will keep trying and yes movie maker2.1 according to microsoft will identify with mpeg2. the philips 3380 manual says it uses mpeg1 mpeg2 divx3.11/4/5/6 which is why it will play any downloaded torrent burnt to cd 700mb with brilliant quality considering the reasonable price i paid new two years ago, so many thanks to all of you out there for your help i will do as you advise and hope to succeed if not i will come back to this post cheers finbar

#9 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:28 PM

hi garmanma, wildabeast and 12x48y i managed to sort out the viewcam to laptop problem after i could'nt play my dvd disc on the computer, i have just posted hamluis a reply explaining how, garmanma it should be of extra interest to you, so many thanks to you all for your advice if i can help any of you in the future give me a shout finbar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users