Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I Infected

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 uncfingers

uncfingers

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

:thumbsup: hi everyone when i open my computer i get this message when the desktop shows...windows cannot find 2c\winlogon .exe" make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. to search file c/start and then c/search..i have tried to do what it says but it is still there. can anyone help please. i am using windows xp home ..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Richard Fu

Richard Fu

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:40 AM

Is it the right path?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:12 PM

winlogon.exe is a process belonging to the Windows login manager and part of the Windows Login subsystem. winlogon.exe is necessary for user authorization, checking the Windows XP activation code and handling interactive user logons and logoffs. Determining whether winlogon.exe is malware or a legitimate Windows process depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. The legit winlogon.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. If found running from a different location it is malware.

Your post is not written very clearly. Are you saying the error points to this location: C:\winlogon.exe?
Have you run any anti-virus or anti-malware programs recently?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users