Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Was Windows Xp Like Vista When It Was First Released?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:38 AM

I always wanted to know this - I am sure many others want to know this too :thumbsup:

We all know there is a lot of hype going around about Windows Vista - compatibility issues, bugs, mess ups etc. But was Windows XP once like this when it was first released or was it a winner (with the obvious exception of a few bugs) when it was released?

David

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 18 June 2008 - 01:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:54 AM

The answer to your question is YES...Maybe not quite as bad, but it took them a while to get things stable. The bad thing about Vista is that I feel that the expectations were so high upon it's launch that Microsoft probably hurried things a little...With service packs and hot-fixes they will probably get things right...OR it could end up like 98ME and never quite meet the standard before the next O/S arrives.

I waited almost three years before installing XP on my system...Was running 98SE which was OK but started to have stupid crashes and program freezes...Bit the bullet in 2004 and installed XP and have not looked back since...

Edited by douglas martin, 18 June 2008 - 06:55 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:59 AM

The bad thing about Vista is that I feel that the expectations were so high upon it's launch that Microsoft probably hurried things a little...

Yeah I too see this.

I did assume it would be a similar scenario and who knows - we could one day treat Vista as we treat XP today! Yes it sounds wired but it is possible.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:07 AM

Hey, there are folks out there now that like Vista quite well...I feel that with the right hot-fixes and service packs Vista will find it's stride...But they better hurry as Mac is leaving them in their dust, IMHO.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:50 AM

Well...that question is pretty general...and I would say no, based on the fact that...

XP was a logical progression in many ways. From driver support to tools to utilize on the system to system reliability...it was better (clearly) than all previous versions of Windows, with the exception of Win 2K.

IMO, the advantage it had over Win 2K is that it built upon the known successes of Win 2K...and improved them for users who (for whatever reason) were not likely to adopt/adapt to Win 2K.

I have used everything from Win 3.1 to XP (I have Vista Basic, but have no burning desire to install it) and I just do not see an O/S that seemingly requires greater resources to accomplish the same things I can do with less on XP...as a Giant Leap Forward (or even a single step forward).

I don't claim to know all the alleged advantages of Vista, but I have read enough to remark that it currently fails to promote itself enough...to make me even want to use it for daily activities.

I was never that way toward any version of Windows previously, adopting/installing everything (except Me) with confidence as soon as I had read enough positive feedback regarding such from reliable sources.

Louis

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:22 PM

A person like me that though 98se was just great; XP-PRO is the best I have seen. Yes there was sp1,2 and then a long wait for sp3. Vista to me is just another way for Mr. Gates to make a buck. I have no problem with that, just keep backing XP-PRO for a long time and I will be happy. A few little dips and do's and make it look different and people will buy it.The good thing about Vista is you can run more than 3 gigs of ram. IMO if there was a way of using more that 3 gigs of ram in XP-PRO without going into the registry no one would by Vista as long as XP was sold.

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:46 AM

"Replying to Was Windows Xp Like Vista When It Was First Released?"

My answer would, in general, be "yes".

One big difference is that many hardware vendors either were very late in creating Vista drivers or have refused to do so, leaving folks with equipment that won't work with Vista.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:58 AM

great question, David. Thanks. I wanted windows 98 se to be upgraded for ever and ever!! I was not happy going to xp, but now I'm thinking of xp pro. As far as Windows Vista failing to promote itself enough, well, the din of unhappy users got through to a lot of us pretty well.
Sharon
intelligence has far fewer practical applications than I thought.

#9 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

Yahbut -

there a lot of Vista users who are not unhappy.

Me, for one.

Well, two, since I have Vista on two PC.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#10 oney

oney

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:25 PM

The good thing about Vista is you can run more than 3 gigs of ram. IMO if there was a way of using more that 3 gigs of ram in XP-PRO without going into the registry no one would by Vista as long as XP was sold.

XP 64bit allows more than 3GB RAM, the only downside is sometimes compatibility issues with 64bit windows.

Edited by oney, 22 June 2008 - 06:26 PM.

#11 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:26 AM

Like some of you I've had experience of the 'Windows environment' from 3.1 up to Vista. Regarding XP, it took me some time to move on from 98SE, but after a year or so I finially took a leap of faith and have to say not looked back. Yes there are some minor issues with XP but I have to say this has been the most reliable Windows to date for my personal use.

Have to agree that if you could utilise more than 3GB in XP Pro I'd be a very happy PC user!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users