Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Found

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nikilet

Nikilet

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:18 AM

Windows Vista Home Premium -- IE7 -- Avast (free) -- Comodo (Free) -- Webroot SpySweeper -- high speed DSL

Avast found the virus/trojan Win32:AniExploit in C:\Windows|Temp\WERBAAC.tmp.hdmp. It was neither able to put in the the virus chest or repair it as in both instances it said it was in use.

I did a system restore but that didn't help. I'm running a scan on line right now with Kaspersky and it looks like it's going to take forever if it even completes. But it's already showing an infection although it doesn't say what it is. I tried to run Housecall and got a message that there was an error transferring data from the Internet. I tried running Panda and I'm sure that didn't work, although it appeared to, because after about 20 seconds I got the message that the scan was complete and there were no threats found. I've run this before and it took over an hour.

I'm beginning to wonder how long I've had this because for about a week now my download speed went from super fast to super slow even though my connection time has still been fast and my ISP can't seem to figure it out. I was getting the message that "connection to the server has been reset." I haven't gotten that for a couple of days now -- just super slow download speeds.

In searching I ran across a place that SmitFraud Fix could fix this, but they recommended that the program not be used by an inexperienced user, and that's me. It said to come to this forum for help and instructions. So here I am.

Can someone help me?

thanks,
Nikilet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

In use? Sounds like the virus boots as soon as Windows loads.

I could recommend that you pull up task manager and end its process, but if you don't know what your doing your computer will not like it and force you too restart.

So what I'm going to recommend you to do is boot into safe mode by pressing 'F8' before the Windows Vista loading screen. Doing so will pull up a list of options of where to boot too. Select Boot to Safe Mode and try running a virus scan there.

Safe mode is designed to only launch core system processes so the virus will not be launched (hopefully)

Do a scan and try and fix the virus like nothing is wrong. :thumbsup:

Good luck
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users