Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phising Filter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:58 AM

I have IE 7 and Vista Home on my laptop - the internet pages seem to load slower than on XP - ive noticed if I disable the Phishing Filter, the pages load quicker.

Is the Phishing Filter necessary? I know on XP I dont have IE7 and there is no Phishing Filter on that and I dont have any problems.

Also I would like to know if a main computer is always quicker anyway than a laptop (internet wise that is). One of the reasons i have turned off Phishing filter is to speed the loading of pages up.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:00 PM

It depends if you want the protection that the phishing filter offers.

Here's a link that explains about it: https://phishingfilter.microsoft.com/faq.aspx

Q. What is phishing?
A. Online phishing (pronounced "fishing") is a method of identity theft that tricks you into revealing personal or financial information online. Phishers use phony Web sites or deceptive e-mail messages that mimic trusted businesses and brands in order to steal personally identifiable information such as usernames, passwords, credit card numbers, and Social Security numbers.
Q. What is the Microsoft Phishing Filter and how does it help protect me?
A. The Microsoft Phishing Filter is both a feature of Windows Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Live Toolbar as part of Windows Live OneCare Advisor. It is designed to help protect you from fraudulent Web sites trying to steal your personal information.
Phishing Filter helps to protect you in two key ways.

* It operates in the background as you browse the Web, analyzing Web pages and determining if they have any characteristics that might be suspicious. If it finds suspicious Web pages, it will show a yellow warning, advising you to proceed with caution.
* Phishing Filter checks the sites you visit against an up-to-the-hour, dynamic list of reported phishing sites. If it finds a match, Phishing Filter will show you a red warning notifying you that the site has been blocked for your safety.

For more information on the Phishing Filter Client in MSN Premium Client, please view the product help in MSN Premium Client.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:44 AM

I always take on board what Bleeping Computer suggests or recommends. What do you think? If I leave it on, its like watching paint dry at times. I did find a hot fix via Microsoft which is purely for this problem - so there is a common problem - only to find when i tried to download it, I had already got it through a past update.

I have Zone Alarm set on High, and run Avast both which I am quite happy with. Do you think I am covered?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:34 AM

Each thing that you use to help protect you will add a bit of lag to the internet connection. If the phishing filter is causing you grief, then disable it. BUT remember that when you're surfing the web, otherwise you mayl end up falling for a phishing scheme and losing a lot.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:42 AM

OK - thanks for the advise, I will do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users