Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Operating Systems On One Partition

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tomh1991

tomh1991

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:29 AM

hi
I recently reinstalled Windows Xp. I mistakenly created another os on the same partition. Everything seemed to be running ok until I noticed I could not use any of the Office programmes. I would keep getting the message 'Microsoft word has not been installed on its current user'. I figured this may be caused by having two os on one partition.

I have done a bit of research and have found that you can create a new os on a new partition, but I am not sure how I go about this. Can someone give me some help in how to create a multiple boot. Any help will be much appreciate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:12 AM

Personally speaking, If this was me, I would just start all over again with the re-installation of XP. Two O/S's on the same partition is definately a no-no....I'm surprized that it will even boot at all. During the re-installation make sure to set up your partitions correctly, and install XP on only one partition. Complete the XP installation.

Once Windows is installed, as for the dual boot thing goes, this would be a good time. Make a decision as to which O/S you want to dual boot with XP. Some choose XP Pro, some Vista (if your system can handle it), others choose Linux *which BTW can be pretty handy for many reasons...Install this on one of your other partitions.

The choice is yours, but I really don't see any other way to fix this easier...Others might...

Edited by douglas martin, 18 June 2008 - 06:13 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 tomh1991

tomh1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:24 AM

Hi thanks for your reply.

Before I read your post, I figured how to delete a partition. So I reinstalled xp and now I have only one partition.

However I cannot find any of my Microsoft office programmes. Where have they gone?

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:01 AM

My guess would be that Microsoft Office is on another CD...Many of the big box makers like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. will supply more than one CD with the unit when they sell it to you. One will have the O/S and maybe some drivers on it...The others will have "Bloatware" such as Office, Norton, Nero, and other applications that can be optionally re-installed.

Office won't be on your XP CD...Not normally...

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:42 AM

If I am understanding correctly (which is always debateable):

When you deleted the previously existing partition...you deleted all contents.

FWIW: There was a simple solution to your situation, many of us inadvertently install 2 copies of the same O/S on a partition. The easy thing to do is boot into the one which you want to keep...and just delete the Windows folder of the other, with minor editing of the boot.ini file possible.

XP FAQ, Two XP Installs On Same Partition - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20

Louis

#6 tomh1991

tomh1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:59 AM

douglas: Ahh right. For some reason I thought that Office was on the Xp installation disc. I will have to hunt around for my Office disc.

If for some reason I cannot find my Office disc, but I know someone who has, will I be able to use that disc if it has already been installed on another pc?

louis: thanks for the helpful info

#7 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:10 AM

douglas: Ahh right. For some reason I thought that Office was on the Xp installation disc. I will have to hunt around for my Office disc.

If for some reason I cannot find my Office disc, but I know someone who has, will I be able to use that disc if it has already been installed on another pc?

louis: thanks for the helpful info

Not Legally, unless they un-install from their computer...The rule is One Installation, One Product Key...Your best bet is to find your CD and use your product key to install. If your CD is from the manufacturer of your computer you may not even need a key to re-register.

#8 tomh1991

tomh1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:24 AM

hmm...the thing is I don't actually know where my Office disc is. I have only found one that was designed for Windows 95, which I doubt will be much good for Xp. The computer was given to me by a relative. I will have to check if he has the disc.

If I cannot get an Office disc, would you recommend buying Works? Considering the price of Office

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

The use of another person's copy to restore the software that you purchased is a gray area as far as Microsoft is concerned, at least with the representative that I spoke with regarding the legal ramification of this. What it boils down to is that if you purchased the software originally then you should have the right to use what ever disk is needed to restore your software.

An alternative to this though would be to use a freeware like Open Office, this seems to be a popular alternative.

Edited by dc3, 18 June 2008 - 10:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:46 AM

Actually being a cheapskate, I would look at Open Office...The price is right...FREE...

http://www.2008-official.com/openoffice/

From what I have read about it in other forum topics a lot of people like it...It has a lot of the same features as Office and possibly a few more...

#11 tomh1991

tomh1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:33 AM

In the link that dc3 provided, could I download this from another pc onto a memory stick and install it on mine? Its just because I have not configured my internet yet. Or will it install on the pc it is downloaded on?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

You should be able to transfer it to a flash drive and install it that way, just make sure that you transfer the installation/ setup files as this is what will make the installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 tomh1991

tomh1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:39 PM

great, thanks for the advice.
i do have one more question, but i apologise as it has nothing to do with the original topic.
i have noticed that when i run my pc in safe mode, there are two accounts. one called administrator, and one i normally use in normal mode. the administrator one does not appear in normal mode, why is this?

#14 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:47 PM

Windows XP Welcome Screen is useful and looks very nice, but it is not perfect. One of the side effects of this feature is that the default Administrator account will not be displayed on the screen if you have defined another user account with admin privileges. Since the account you can create during Windows XP setup adds the user to the Administrators group, the original Administrator account is not visible by default.

#15 tomh1991

tomh1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:44 PM

ahh i see....

well my queries and problems seemed to be solved. Thanks a lot for all the help and advice.

P,S. I have installed openoffice.org and I am impressed. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users