Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive in danger?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alexcraw

alexcraw

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:25 AM

Guys

I have purchased a new laptop and await delivery like a wee boy on christmas eve, and will be moving the trusty desktop onward to a new keeper (my mother). Thing is I am worried about the noises coming from the HDD when it is initially booting. From the moment I press the button, for about 10 to 20 seconds there is a quite loud buzzing sound (similar to when a floppy is searching for a disc which is not there) which gradually goes away. This noise does not persist when the computer is running in normal use. There have been a few light flickery noises though recently when the PC is doing a lot of tasks at one time.

I would like to know if there is a way of fixing this problem through diagnostics on the manufacturers site without formatting or losing any data from the drive.

It is a:

MAXTOR 6L080J4

Cheers

Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:38 PM

I would not like that sound as well. It could be drive arm having problems. If you feel comfortable putting a new drive in, they are pretty cheap these days (80 gb from newegg for around 80 bucks). I am not saying the drive is bad, but noises like that are symptoms of a problem

#3 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:32 AM

Are you sure it isnt your floppy drive, because every time I start up my comp, my floppy drive makes noises, even when there is nothing there.

If it is your floppy drive (or if you even have one). I think its possible that your first boot device is set to floppy, so it searches for a floppy disk before moving on to HDD or CD-Rom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users