Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Problem At Startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darkscout

darkscout

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:05 PM

Hi there!

It's a minor issue, it started when I got a virus that turned my background into a virus warning and a virus warning in my taskbar. That's all taken care of though with special thanks to your wonderful team here. But a couple issues still stand regarding my PC's running. The "My Desktop" window is coming up during startup now, and the computer is running slower then before the virus. I know my C : drive is running low in memory, but like I said, it ran better before the virus hit. Maybe it IS the memory, but then the pop-up window is still weird. Oye, what do you suggest I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:10 PM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

My Documents Folder Opens Upon Boot (for C:\) - #255 on the right.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 darkscout

darkscout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

Hello again,
so I did as was recommended, saved the file, merged it. etc. and it's STILL doing it.... any more suggestions?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:07 PM

Try this free program: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx
Scan through the list for any entries that state "File not found" or similar.
If that doesn't locate it, then look for things that are trying to open programs from your "My Desktop" folder. FYI - there's not normally a "My Desktop" folder on your computer - so if one is there, it may be a remnant of the virus.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 darkscout

darkscout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

OOps- May I correct myself- "my documents"- oops... I'll go check to see if the program helps :thumbsup:

#6 darkscout

darkscout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:22 PM

ok- scanning through the list of endless things.... if it says "file not found" is it safe to just uncheck it? Looking through I can't find something that looks close to "my documents" as an action being open. I figure if I can just uncheck all the "file not found" ones that I may just find it :/

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

If it says "File not found" it's safe to uncheck (because if it can't locate the file, it can't launch it anyway).
Most times this will fix the error, so reboot and check to see if it does.

You can also look for items that are opening a file in the My Documents folder. Just check the paths for anything that points to something inside the My Documents folder. Uncheck it and reboot to see if it fixes it. If you disable something necessary, just go back into the program and put the checkmark back.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users