Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System32\drivers\ntfs.sys Is Missing Or Corrupt

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 gac66

gac66

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

Hello. Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to offer...

Turned on my computer about a week ago and got a message I wasn't prepared to handle. I had shut it down for the first time in forever and I got the following error that I'm having trouble fixing:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys"

Windows will not start in any of the safe modes, including the Last known Good Configuration.

Here's a very basic background on my system and what I've attempted to correct the problem:

- Windows XP Home
- Soyo motherboard (I have the CD for drivers, if needed)
- Raid 0
- Partitioned drives C, J, and K (programs on C, data on the others)

A friend of mine built this system about four years ago and I've not had any troubles. Unfortunately, I don't have access to that person anymore so I'm reaching out for other expert help. On advice of my work I/T guys, I purchased a WD Passport USB external 320GB hard drive. I've also obtained a copy of Knoppix that I'm running from CD.

First, the good part. Using Knoppix, I can see all of the partitioned C, J, and K drives and the data I want to save (mostly family pictures, a little music, Turbo Tax work, and the expensive iTunes music database from my daughter). Now the bad. Of all things, Knoppix will not allow me access to do anything with the external HD. It seems that I do not have write permission on the external USB drive. Can't make a new folder, can't copy or paste, can't rescue my data, basically nothing!

The original idea was to rescue the data files and store them safely on the external HD and then re-install Windows XP Home on the C: drive. At this point I'm open to any suggestions. Here's my laundry list of "What now?" questions:

- Can someone help me with the external HD rights in Knoppix? -or-
- Should I get some other OS to facilitate the rescue instead of Knoppix? -or-
- Does anybody have a better way to fix a missing or corrupt Ntfs.sys? -or-
- Should I move into the basement before or after I tell my wife many of our best photo memories are toast?

If you could keep any explanations or suggestions simple, I would appreciate you even more. I can follow directions well, but I'm actually a beginner when it comes to the OS side of computers.

Thanks for your input, good suggestions, and help.

Best regards,
Greg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:31 PM

Do you have access to your windows XP reinstallation media?

Do you have access to the recovery console?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:55 AM

If you have the original XP CD (if not follow the instructions in each of the guides below), insert it in the tray and re-boot...When set-up prompts to press "R" do so...This will take you to the Recovery console...You will be asked for an administrative password...If there is one key it in and press enter....If there isn't one (which is usually the case) just press enter. At the command prompt type in sfc /scannow then enter. Note the space between c and /. This should re-install any missing or corrupt files.

Info on Recovery console:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...ial117.html#use

Info on using sfc /scannow:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 gac66

gac66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:41 PM

Gentlemen,

I've made it to the recovery console using the XP Home CD. I followed your instructions, but SFC is not recognized. After typing HELP, I reviewed the list and SFC is not on it. What next?

Here's my available options:
- ATTRIB
- BATCH
- BOOTCFG
- CD
- CHDIR
- CHKDSK
- CLS
- COPY
- DEL
- DELETE
- DIR
- DISABLE
- DISKPART
- ENABLE
- EXIT
- EXPAND
- FIXBOOT
- FIXMBR
- FORMAT
- HELP
- LISTSVC
- LOGON
- MAP
- MD
- MKDIR
- MORE
- NET
- RD
- REN
- RENAME
- RMDIR
- SYSTEMROOT
- TYPE

Thanks,
Greg

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:48 PM

Boot the console, then use this command:
copy ntfs.sys

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 gac66

gac66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:48 PM

billy3,

I tried the copy command at the c:, d:, e:, and f: prompts. "The system cannot find the file specified". What did I do incorrectly?

Greg

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:01 PM

"Missing or corrupt Ntfs.sys" error message

1. Use the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD to restart your computer.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option.
3. Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted, and then press ENTER. If no administrator password exists, just press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):
cd \windows\system32\drivers
ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old
Note This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, the file is missing.
6. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers
Where cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD, and drive is the drive where you installed Windows XP.
7. Remove the Windows XP CD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit at a command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.
8. Restart the computer.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:13 PM

Sorry, my bad. Here's the correct code:

When you do these lines, ignore any errors in the REN NTFS.SYS line.

chkdsk /f
cd \windows\system32\drivers
ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old
copy d:\i386\ntfs.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers

Billy3
Posted Image

#9 gac66

gac66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:38 AM

Billy3,

I tried the copy command at the c:, d:, e:, and f: prompts. "The system cannot find the file specified". What did I do incorrectly?

Greg

#10 gac66

gac66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:41 AM

Whoops, looks like I posted my reply twice. Oh well, I have the next set of instructions from everyone that I'll try from home tonight.

Thanks,
Greg

#11 gac66

gac66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:49 PM

Gentlemen,

I'm at a loss. I have 2 CD drives and a DVD drive installed on my system. I have tried all of the drives with your commands and I just cannot get the computer to recognize that any of the drives has the XP CD loaded. I've changed the prompt from c: to d:, e:, f:, and g: and still nothing after these CHKDSK commands. It's been 20 years since I studied DOS.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Greg

#12 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:00 PM

I honestly don't know. Are any of these drives SATA?

Billy3
Posted Image

#13 gac66

gac66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:44 PM

Billy3,

Let me try some more again in a few days. Vacation starts tomorrow.

Till then...

Thanks,
Greg

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:01 AM

Boot into the Recovery Console and run these 3 commands (pressing Enter after each one) and answer Y or Yes when it asks for confirmation.

chkdsk /r

fixmbr

fixboot

Let us know of any error messages that you receive when using these commands. There'll probably be other things to do after this, but this will give us a starting point. There are numerous possibilities for the cause of this problem, so we've gotta investigate them one-by-one in a logical manner in order to isolate the exact cause.

FYI - it can be (in no specific order):
- malware
- bad hard drive
- bad file system
- bad file system structure
- bad Windows files
- bad components elsewhere inside the case
- bad drivers for other components
- etc
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 gac66

gac66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:17 PM

usasma,

Back from vacation ready to work on this issue...

OK, here are the results from each of the steps you listed previously, all performed from the C:\ prompt:

1. chkdsk /r -- Message: The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.
2. fixmbr -- No response or messages.
3. fixboot -- Message: FIXBOOT cannot find the system drive, or the drive specified is not valid.

Thanks again,
Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users