Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable Windows Media Player?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Elamdri

Elamdri

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:36 AM

Hi, I work as a teacher for a junior high school. I teach in the computer labs and im having a problem with the students playing music and streaming songs of the internet. I was wondering if their was anyway for me to disable the computers so that they could not use the media player, but without completely uninstalling it. I have administrator acess to the computers. Each student has a personal login on the network that we use at the school.

Edited by Elamdri, 07 April 2005 - 08:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:35 PM

Unfortunately i do not believe there is a way other than uninstalling the app. Or using a content filtering device.

#3 Elamdri

Elamdri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:56 PM

*sigh*

I was afraid of this. Alright, well thank you anyway. I appreciate it.

#4 bradly

bradly

• Deactivated
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:53 PM

Technically, YES you can:

1. Log in as Administrator.

2. Start - Run - "cmd" - and hit Enter.

3. At the command prompt, type "cd ..", followed by enter, until you are at the C:\> prompt.

4. Type "cd Program Files\Windows Media Player", and press Enter. Your command prompt should be "c:\program files\windows media player>"

5. now type "CACLS wmplayer.exe /P users:N" and hit Enter.
-when prompted, press "y" for yes, and then Enter.

6. now type "CACLS wmplayer.exe /G system:F administrators:F", and press enter (note the spaces, they are very important).

Now only administrators can access Windows Media Player - All other users will be denied access.

To reverse the changes, follow numbers 1 - 5 above, then:

6. type "CACLS wmplayer.exe /G system:F administrators:F users:R", and press enter (note the spaces, they are very important).

I've never actually tried it with Windows Media Player, so let me know if that works ;)

Edited by bradly, 08 April 2005 - 12:00 AM.

Shrinkwrapped - Free PC Therapy

#5 bradly

bradly

• Deactivated
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:58 PM

Also Note:

My above posting is assuming that there is Windows Media Player installed on each computer, in the C: drive.

So if there are 10 computers, you would have to do this to each machine.

You might want to test it out on one machine first.

Good luck!

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:16 AM

If the students have personal logins doesn't that mean you can limit their access to apps, menu's etc in profile settings?

*** vast yawning pit of ignorance opens up***:thumbsup:

Client-Server gurus?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:28 AM

Nice post bradly :thumbsup: (I didn't see it before for some reason)

That only works in winXP and win2000 I'm guessing, what about 98 & ME? :flowers:

Elamdri could put all that in a batch file and it would be easy to set up all the other computers the same way. :trumpet:

Edited by Rimmer, 08 April 2005 - 03:29 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Elamdri

Elamdri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for your help, i will try this soon and let you know what happens. The network admin CAN edit the profiles of the students so that they can't acess the media player, but that would cause a problem as he would have to make it a network wide rule if he did, which we don't want to do, as it would hinder the computer media classes. Therefore I wanted to make it locally, as i teach graphics and typing only. I'll try that once class lets out and post how it goes.

#9 Elamdri

Elamdri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:38 AM

Alrighty, good news. Works like a charm. Thanks. (Oh they are SO pissed at me its hilarious. "Maaaan Mr. Allen, thats straight wrong watchoo did.")

Whatever happened to proper grammer?

Thanks again, you can lock this if you want.

#10 bradly

bradly

• Deactivated
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:18 AM

I'm glad it worked for you Elamdri!! :thumbsup:

Rimmer: Yes CACLS only works in NT, 2K, and XP - and the batch file is a great idea ;)

#11 Elamdri

Elamdri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:44 AM

my school runs all the computers on the latest OS from windows. Our admin got 2 licenses from Microsoft to do this. We have 2 servers from dell, both set up with a UPS. (one which we just got last week)

We also have 2 T1 lines set up, which is nice.

Now that one suggestion from bradly worked fine, but could someone explain to me the batch thing? I do know quite a lot about the programs i teach, but im not to familiar with the stuff that makes a computer run. However, i can usually follow any instructions without much problem.

Funny thing, turns out im not the only one who benifited from this. I was telling this to my collegue during our lunch hour and he asked me how i did this. He was asking if i could do this to his computers so the kids couldn't download the games off the internet. I told him it didn't work that way, then asked how the kids were getting the games off the net, as the basic user by default can dl or install. So it turns out that for somereason the typing programs on the computers are locked from base users, so the network admin decided to give each user who needed acess to the program administrator acess on that PC. Which as you guess, means that the kids wreacked those Computers. I ran Some software and cleaned them out. And then i got to thinking. I went in and used the code bradly gave me and changed it to access the typing program instead. I then told it to find the EXE file and i told it to Users:R.

Guess what. Worked like a charm AGAIN. So i really love this little trick and my collegue gives his regards a well. Thanks again to everyone.

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:30 AM

Elamdri - I'm glad bradly's solution is working out so well for you, i don't know what its like in the US but in Australia the teachers need all the support and empowerment they can get!

I'm a bit rusty on batch files but basically it saves you typing in the commands over and over. You enter all the steps in a notepad file then save it as something like nowinamp.bat. The next computer you need to set up you copy nowinamp.bat to the c:\ drive (preferable the folder to which cmd first opens). Then after you hit Start>Run and type "cmd" you just type "nowinamp" (without quotes) and it does it all for you.
Problem - I can't remember what you do about the commands that require confirmation. :thumbsup:

If you do get a batch file going, I'd suggest deleting it from the system when you've used it otherwise some of the smarter students might find it and 'reverse engineer' a fix! :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 10 April 2005 - 04:33 AM.

#13 Elamdri

Elamdri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:22 AM

Thats sounds interesting, if you or anyone else can elaborate on that i would greatly appreciate it. I'll try to figure it out on myself for the moment.

#14 bradly

bradly

• Deactivated
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:44 AM

Elamdri,
Just follow Rimmer's instructions. However:

1. To have the batch file answer the YES question, see here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=135268

2. More on batch files:

http://home.att.net/~gobruen/progs/dos_batch/dos_batch.html

#15 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

If I'm still keeping up your notepad file should look something like this:

rem RESTRICTING MEDIA PLAYER ACCESS
cd c:\
cd Program Files\Windows Media Player
XCACLS wmplayer.exe /P users:N /y
XCACLS wmplayer.exe /G system:F administrators:F /y
exit

This assumes you have the XCACLS command. The rem line can be any text, its just there as a quick reminder of what the file does. Remember when you save it change the file extension from TXT to BAT and there's your batch file.

Edited by Rimmer, 11 April 2005 - 08:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users