Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp 2008 Antivirus Virus! Help?!?!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jacoby

Jacoby

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:54 PM

Ok so I am new to this forum and the reason I am here is because I stumbled upon you guys while searching for a way to get rid of a virus that my computer has contracted. I dont know alot about computers or programming, just the basics, and i'm tired of paying the computer shop down the street to clean my computer over and over...so I am in need of help...

Last week my computer started running slowly, especially anything to do with the web. Then I started getting this pop up thing in the bottom right corner of my screen about how I was "unprotected" and needed to register my XP AntiVirus software. I ignored it and continued to use the computer. Now everytime I open my internet browser my homepage takes forever to load and when it finally does it only stays on the screen for a fraction of a second then the screen flashes over to an error page saying what im trying to view is harmful to my computer and whatnot. I can sometimes get it to go to other webpages but only if i click back and refresh and struggle with it. And when I finally get it to work a little bar at the top of the screen comes down saying "The page you are opening is probably contains spyware, adware, etc.. Your system might be at risk, Click here to protect your system with XP antivirus." I can open certain pages but others I cant. My virus protection software poped up the other day saying it had deleted the threat but it is still here, so I ran the program again and deleted all the "XP AntiVirus 2008" stuff I could find. This helped a little, got rid of the desktop shortcut and the little symbol in the bottom right hand corner but I still get the error messages and other stuff everytime I try and access the web.

I am using windows version 5.1 and have Symantec AntiVirus "Version 6/13/2008 rev. 3"

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and as I said earlier, i'm new at this forum and on have general computer knowledge so please bear with me..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:44 PM

How to remove Windows Antivirus 2008 (Removal Guide)
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users