Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 greybuffalo

greybuffalo

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:20 PM

Hi,I just wiped my C Drive clean with "Killdisc",I noticed there where two parts(partitions),the one I wiped was a big block,the other had a little amount,as I could not do both at once,is it okay for me to wipe the other,whatever is hidden in there?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:44 PM

If you have an XP install CD that doesn't need files on either partition...and don't mind losing whatever is on both partitions...then I see no problem.

Louis

#3 greybuffalo

greybuffalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:35 PM

Well I didnt wipe that little section clean,so is there any way I can go there and see what is there?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:50 PM

What is the make and model of your computer?

Some manufacturers like Dell have recovery or restore partitions on the hdd. This may be what you are seeing.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 greybuffalo

greybuffalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:26 AM

Mine has a Nivida motherboard.
The reason,Im asking is now that I have wiped my computer clean,its running so nice,I feel like just cleaning that other bit too and not leaving any muck left on my computer........only thing is Im s**t scared too,in case I screw the whole thing up.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:47 AM

Just what is the exact size of this smaller partition, please?

Louis

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:36 AM

Mine has a Nivida motherboard.
The reason,Im asking is now that I have wiped my computer clean,its running so nice,I feel like just cleaning that other bit too and not leaving any muck left on my computer........only thing is Im s**t scared too,in case I screw the whole thing up.

If this is a custom build, not manufactured like a Dell or HP, then the other partition probably isn't for a recovery or restore option. Try clicking on it in My Computer and see what is there. While you are there, if you place the mouse pointer on the drive it will show you what the size of the partition is, and how much free space is left on it, this is what Hamluis is requesting.

The old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" could be applied here, if the second partition is small and only has application or files and isn't causing any problems...leave it alone.

Edited by dc3, 18 June 2008 - 11:39 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 greybuffalo

greybuffalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:49 AM

It was about 5 Gb.
Yes,I adhere to"if it aint broke dont fix it"
Thanx

0 user(s) are reading this topic