Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Repair Xp From Windows Disk - Setup Hangs

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 rrgone

rrgone

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:13 PM

I recently removed a nasty maleware with the help of a kind person here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry847752 Great place. :thumbsup:

I was still having a few problems with two network programs (Linksys Network Advisor and Network Magic) plus it just seemed like my PC was bogging down more and more especially at startup. So I figured it was time to try and repair the XP installation using the OEM disk, and if that didn't help I was going to reformat and reinstall XP.

So I booted to the XP disk and selected 'R' to repair the existing install. It went along for a while until the counter got to 34 minutes left and it asked for the location for iaStore.sys Intel Matrix storage Manager Driver. There was a 'browse to' box open so I was able to locate iaStore.sys on the 'C' drive and selected it. The repair Setup started up again and ran for about a minute and then blipped to a black screen with no message and restarted the Setup again. Now when I start the PC it automatically starts Setup and asks for the disk if it's not in the drive, then goes to 34 minutes, blips to black for a minute, starts at 34 minutes again for a minute then blips to black again and then restarts setup all over. It never gets past the 34 minutes left in Setup...

I do have the Recovery Console installed and am able to get to it if I am fast enough when I start the pc. I'd would appreciate some advice on what to try from Recovery Console or anything else that might help me out.

It's a Dell Dimension 8400 running XP SP2 (can't remember if SP3 was installed or not). Sorry this is long winded and I probably still left out some stuff so let me know if you need any more info. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

You can try running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console...on the current Windows install. After that completes, see if you can do the repair install.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

MS, XP Repair Install Procedures - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/EN-US/

Louis

#3 rrgone

rrgone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

Wow that was quick Louis! :thumbsup:

I'll try that when I get home in a while and post back what happens. That blinking little curser with no user interface scares me a little...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

If you have a black screen, with the cursor blinking in the upper left hand corner...you probably need to run the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console.

Louis

#5 rrgone

rrgone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:12 PM

The black screen only comes for a minute just before Setup restarts. There is nothing going on (no curser) in that black screen. When I boot to Recovery Console it looks 'normal' to me. I see that the curser is not blinking as I said earlier. It's a solid little squarish curser that is steady.

OK, in Recovery Console it is a black screen, with this: C:\WINDOWS>_ (except the _ is really a small white square that does not blink). Should I run 'chkdsk /r' or 'fixmbr'? Do I need to change to the C directory or is it OK at C:\WINDOWS>?

Thanks for the links too. Looks like I'll be repairing IE7 when I get this fixed. I shoulda come here first...

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:20 PM

You should be able to run chkdsk /r right from C:\WINDOWS...Note the space between k and /...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 rrgone

rrgone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:09 PM

That didn't seem to help, and just to make sure I ran chkdsk /r twice. Both times it reported that chkdsk found and fixed one or more errors on volume. It also reported stats on disk space and allocation units on disk and available.

When I boot the pc it immediatly returns to Setup (not all the way back to the windows reinstall disk where you have a choice to format and install XP or try to repair the existing install) at 39 minutes estimated to complete. At 37 minutes left it starts Installing Devices and opens a small status bar. When it gets to 34 minutes the status bar shows about 2/3 done Installing Devices and then hangs. It then blips to a black screen for a few secs then back to the Setup at 34 minutes left. It then blips to black screen again then reboots and restarts Setup all over again....

Any ideas what to try next? Thanks.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:54 PM

The following link may be of some help:

XP Installation - The 34 minute hiccup

Typically this problem is caused by faulty hardware.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 rrgone

rrgone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the 34 minute hiccup link, it looked pretty promising. However it's not obvious to me if there is a problem listed in setupapi.log near the point it stops (ie, near the end of the log). There are some lines regarding something called *pcouffin where the driver is not trusted and rank changed from 0x000000000 to 0x00008000, but those lines are near the middle of the text document not near the end. I also looked for 'failed' and found some of those too, but again not near the end of the document.

Is it ok to paste the setupapi.log into a message here or as an attachment, for someone with better knowledge than I have to review?

Thanks for the help!

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

I would try running a diagnostic test on the hard drive to ensure that it's okay.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 rrgone

rrgone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:41 PM

Sorry to be a bleeping newb here, but can you look at this page and tell me which program to download: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...606&lang=en

The HD I have in my Dell 8400 is a WD Caviar SE16.

Thanks.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...=30&lang=en

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 rrgone

rrgone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:34 PM

Well I saved the Diag504cCD.iso file then burned the iso to a cd. There's a text file on there that says to type DLGDIAG at the DOS prompt. The file on the cd is actually titled DLGDIAG5. So I put it in the pc I'm having problems with, get a DOS prompt and type d:\DLGDIAG5. The disk spins up but nothing happens, it eventually just stops and then it's just the small window and c:\windows>

Maybe I should just give up and try formatting the drive and start over. ??

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

What happens if you just type "DLGDIAG"?

Also, Dell computers sometimes ship with a diagnostic disk. Do you have one?

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 rrgone

rrgone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

Nothing happens when typing DLGDIAG. I did try that too. :thumbsup:

Nothing from Dell, but when I poked around a bit I found the CD that came with the WD Caviar HD. I had to change out the original HD that came from Dell last year. Anyway the disk has Data Lifeguard Tools plus crap from Google and an old version of Acrobat.

Found out SOMETHING interesting though: when I type 'start d:' it launches Power Desk Pro which is what I use instead of Windows Explorer. This is nice because with that I can browse the d drive and try to launch files. Can't read any of the docs on there because they can't find Acrobat. Can't install the old version of Acrobat because it fails due to newer version already installed. Tried launching the Data Lifeguard Tool in the DOS folder and it spins the disk like before and then stops without starting the program. Tried installing the windows version of DLG to the HD from the CD and it worked but won't launch from there either.

Guess I'm thinking I should use Powerdesk to copy anything that I haven't already backed up (like the Intel Matrix storage manager driver, and a suite from Broadcom for the Network Adaptor). I had already backed up all my data before I started this mistake.

Still thinking maybe just try a c:\format? Anything else I could try first though?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users