Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Camcorders

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flavius

flavius

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:56 PM

hello general chatters, i have purchased a sharps vl a10h viewcam and would like to know if it is right to have a fully charged battery in the unit for long periods of time or are you supposed to let the battery discharge it's self first, i take the video tape out when not in use, i have used the viewcam for the first time and even though it was second hand it recorded brilliantly, i have transfered the recording to dvd for posterity so my next question is, what is the recording life of a Hi8 video tape, i am open to all advice from experienced video'ers cheers finbar
optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:35 PM

I would like to know if it is right to have a fully charged battery in the unit for long periods of time

The problem with leaving batteries in any device for a long period of time is the possibility of the battery leaking and damaging the device. Even lithium batteries can leak
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:19 PM

And the standby current drawn by the camera will flatten the battery faster. Remove the battery from the camera when not in use, charge the battery before long-term storage. Many types of batteries deteriorate if left uncharged. If the camera is going to be unused for months, most types of battery show some degree of self-discharge. Top up the charge on the battery after being unused for 2 or 3 months, even if you're not going to use the camera.

As you've mentioned, taking the tape out when not in use is a wise idea, otherwise the tape may adhere to the drum and cause problems next time the camera is used.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:04 PM

thanks garmanma sound advice, platypus, well help from an expert much appreciated, i didn't know about storing batteries fully charged but that is what i have done today and will do again in the months to come if i don't use the viewcam. what are your views on purchasing a non genuine battery supposedly compatible as a sharps genuine one, they come with a one year warranty, i know that sharps them selves are dead against such batteries but the non genuine ones are a third of the price cheers finbar

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:34 PM

Aftermarket batteries do vary considerably in quality, which is why manufacturers deliver blanket advice not to use them. The video camera service guys where I work have found the main type of poor performing battery to be the type with multi fittings that try to work with many different types of camera. If an aftermarket manufacturer takes the trouble to make a range of different batteries specific to the requirements of different brands and models, there's more likelihood they also take some care about the standard of cell fitted into the battery.

Keep in mind that there's really only one way to market a very cheap product, and that's to use very cheap components.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:29 PM

platypus, thanks for the reply i will take it on board when i visit ebay later as i want to take a spare battery on holiday with me in july, the price of genuine sharps are astronomical but i don't want to get caught out with a cheap dud, so once again thanks for the pointers i now know what to look for. cheers finbar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users