Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safely Remove Hardware And Dvd Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jessa

jessa

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hello
I'm having a problem getting my computer to recognize my external dvd burner, I think it started by not using the safely remove hardware button?

I have a dell inspiron 600m with windows xp and an external dvd burner by mad dog.

My question is about the safely remove hardware options

It shows HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N - Drive(D:)
I don't understand if this is supposed to be the mad dog external dvd burner - or the cd/dvd player in my laptop?

(usually when the computer recognizes the burner it shows up in 'my computer' as Drive(E:) )

The problem with that is after I try to safely remove it there is an error message:

Problem Ejecting HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N
The device 'HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N' cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it.

IF it is the external one - I don't know what is using it, it's not even plugged in anymore. -- How do I fix that, and reconnect the burner?

IF it is the internal one, well I guess I should leave it alone (but I don't see why it would be listed to remove?).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:58 PM

What you listed is...a DVD burner, not a CD player :thumbsup:. At least, that's what I think.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about that particular item.

Click Start/Run...type msinfo32, hit OK. Look under Components/CD-ROM...it shall be revealed to you which is the internal drive :huh:.

Louis

#3 jessa

jessa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for clearing that up

Now, how do I get rid of that error message - I don't know what program is accessing the dvd burner (especially because it is not plugged into the usb?)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:02 AM

Connect the external drive.

Then remove it properly following the guidance of the Safely Remove Hardware icon.

One thing to remember...removing the drive does not remove the burn software and I suspect that it's the burn which is accessing the drive.

You also have to remember that XP has a built-in burn capability that recognizes any burner installed.

Louis

#5 jessa

jessa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:35 PM

I tried connecting the external drive and then removing it properly with the safely remove hardware, but I still get the error message.
I use I Copy DVDs 2 to burn dvds and I don't think it's accessing the external drive because if it could I would be burning discs. When I open up ICopyDVDS2 it doesn't recognize the burner.

Is there anyway to find out what's accessing the burner and turn that off?

I'm really just trying to get the dvd burner to work - it shows up in the safely remove hardware - but not in my computer??

thanks for all the input so far everyone :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users