Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:55 PM

Machine:
Gateway GT5438
Intel Core 2 Duo Processo E4300
Intel Graphics Media accelerator 950
Hard Drive-320 GB Sata II
Dual- channel 2048 MB DDR2
15 in one card reader

6 months old

When a run of the Reliability & Monitor completes, it says the Intel Graphics Kernel Mode driver is too slow [6.3 seconds]. It says it is slowing down the computer and suggests correcting.

Other info to help Bleeping : File 1gdkmd32.sys ; Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family

Using the device mgr.& display adapter & online windows, everything says the driver is up to date & no conflicting devices. Is this situation something that indeed should be corrected, or gotten used to. I don't always know how to interpret what various statements after maintenance duties or tests mean. Research indicates this went haywire around the time of service pack latest, was installed.My sound stopped & Vista India/Pakistan repaired sound.

Suggestions please.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

More information here
http://www.intel.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

This should be combined with the other troubleshooting tools in Vista to get a better idea of what's causing it.

I presume that you ran the Performance Monitor Report, so I'd suggest checking the Reliability Monitor and the Event Viewer for further evidence of the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

This should be combined with the other troubleshooting tools in Vista to get a better idea of what's causing it.

I presume that you ran the Performance Monitor Report, so I'd suggest checking the Reliability Monitor and the Event Viewer for further evidence of the problem.

Thanks guys;
I went to the referred Intel site. It's deep for me,but I was able to find the numbered chipset family.A new driver was available on 6/4/08 I think. I was unable to find any info on intel graphics kernel mode driver. Is the new driver for this driver ?,or is it a chipset family driver ? Yes,I'm ignorant. Reason for joining Bleeping! I didn't remove anything,or install anything, just read about it.
usasma : iwent to performance area and can provide the following:The driver is interfering w/ windows resuming from sleep mode. In itself, that's not a problem for me, if that's all that's going on.

Reliability numbers:
Jan-Feb--- 10
Mar-Apr. --- avg. 8.7
May 2/08 before service pk---8.41
May 3--today fairly constant downward to low of 3.7-May 29.
After May 29 --slight upward into Fours---today--4.6

D:Recovery states 0% free, but shows 352 MB free of 9.71 GB.
Local C: 70% free.

When I bought the computer,no one made mention of Vista completley taking over D.

The events log shows a couple of entries for Kaspersky. I kept current on updates,but they sent a new version, that went in on top and messed up majority of folks.I removed all Kas. & reinstalled new one. Seems to work ok. Other event was installed big fix stopped once, but its going now.Evaluation said it was big fix itself problem.
I removed other programs in startup that I didn't need, as mentioned in previous post,including factory installed games which were stored.
I run Adaware,superantispyware,kas virus, some CCleaner,JK defrag.every few days. Never find much-a few tracking cookies, which are removed.

Give me new directions and how to do, and I will try to accomplish them.
Thanks

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:25 PM

I removed other programs in startup that I didn't need, as mentioned in previous post,

I didn't see them listed anywhere. Would you mind telling us what all you disabled?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:39 PM

Ok.
From startup,I removed or uninstalled:
I uninstalled chacony because i don't have keyboard & no plans
I removed several factory installed games & stored them.They were all gateway named. I'm not gamer.
I removed fac. inst. Napster trial & stored.
I uninstalled Zhotkey
I uninstalled Mcaffee using windows & macafee tools.
I uninstalled Kasp. twice & reinstalled to get new versions & because one was installed by Kasp.on top of existing.I was having problems.
I removed & turned off Defender & stored.

Using a feature of SuperAntispyware called " what's running now" The items listed in Startup are :

Kaspersky
BigFix
Media Center App.
Intel common user Interface
IAA event Monitor User Notification tool
Intel common user Interface [listed twice, see above]
Intel Graphics Tray App.
Adobe speed Launcher
Superantispyware
Windows Media Player Network
Sharing Service Config.App.

Each of these has details available in new window, but I didn't go there, trying to be brief.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:58 PM

I'm suspecting that there's an issue between the previous release of the Intel chipset drivers and the latest Windows updates (but this is just guessing on my part).

I would:
1) Ensure that you have the latest version of the Intel 82945G Express Chipset drivers installed and the latest version of the Intel Graphics Media accelerator 950 drivers installed.
2) I would keep an eye on the Intel website for the next couple of weeks, looking to see if there's an update released
3) If you are concerned with current performance issues, you can try using System Restore or try rolling back the drivers. But, if it's not giving you any problems right now, I'd leave well enough alone.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:18 PM

I'm suspecting that there's an issue between the previous release of the Intel chipset drivers and the latest Windows updates (but this is just guessing on my part).

I would:
1) Ensure that you have the latest version of the Intel 82945G Express Chipset drivers installed and the latest version of the Intel Graphics Media accelerator 950 drivers installed.
2) I would keep an eye on the Intel website for the next couple of weeks, looking to see if there's an update released
3) If you are concerned with current performance issues, you can try using System Restore or try rolling back the drivers. But, if it's not giving you any problems right now, I'd leave well enough alone.

I've spent a couple of days at the intel site, trying to match what I think I have, with what they show as updates.The site extolls the greatness of the 950 media acc. but no furthur info. No mention of driver updates.
The sticker on the outside of the computer printed by gateway states it has intel graphics media accelerator 950. The vista tools state it's a 945G/GZ/P/PC processor to I/O Controller. Going to another Vista part I get a message: No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device.
I tried downloading some 82945G driver updates, and it said the system was not the correct one, eventhough I was trying updates for home premium with this chipset.
Another test I performed yielded :
Intel core duo cpu 4300@ 1.80 GHz- Speed equal to expected.
System Bus- equal to expected.
L2 cache- no expected core 1&2 report 2 mb.

Another confusing thing for me: The sticker on the outside states Dual core 64 bit processor with.... while the specs that Windows pulls up state 32 bit.

The computer is taking longer to start, it's locked up lately doing ordinary tasks[opening bellsouth.net e-mail]

Is Recovery disc supposed to be full, as mentioned earlier in this topic?

Would Hijack this help at this point?
Sorry to ask so many questions, but I have read & read & tested, and cleaned,and see no improvement & don't find answers.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:20 AM

A 64 bit processor does not equate to a 64 bit Operating System. The processor (also known as the CPU) is a hardware piece that's the actual computer itself (where the computing is done). There are 32 bit CPU's that are capable of emulating 64 bit processing, and there are 32 bit CPU's that aren't capable of 64 bit processing, and there are 64 bit CPU's (which are able to handle 32 bit processing also).

So, if you've got a processor than can only handle 32 bit processing, then you can only install a 32 bit Operating System (Windows) on it. If you've got a processor that can handle 64 bit processing, then you can install either a 64 bit or a 32 bit Operating System.

The recovery partition/disk is supposed to be full. This is to discourage people from using that area for other purposes (and thereby corrupting the recovery partition).

For further research, I'd suggest looking into this:

Reliability numbers:
Jan-Feb--- 10
Mar-Apr. --- avg. 8.7
May 2/08 before service pk---8.41
May 3--today fairly constant downward to low of 3.7-May 29.
After May 29 --slight upward into Fours---today--4.6

Beneath each of the dates will be events that occurred on those dates. Look for the Errors or Failures and let us know what the most common one is.

No, I don't think that a HJT logfile is appropriate at this point. Also, please do not post one here as I'll have to move it to another area (because it's misplaced). If you're concerned about malware, I'd suggest doing a couple of free, online scans to see if your current protection has been compromised. Here's some links:

(Be advised that some of these scanners will pickup things in "quarantine" from other anti-virus programs - so review the results carefully)

http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner Scan Only - no removal
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml
http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp
http://onlinescan.avast.com/
http://ca.com/us/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

<links compiled on 02/14/2008>

Finally, what I suspect is that your video drivers have become corrupted, and would recommend that you uninstall them. To do this:
1) Uninstall any of the Intel Graphics stuff from Control Panel...Programs and Features...Uninstall a Program
2) Then go into Device Manager and uninstall your Display Adapter (right click on it and select "Uninstall")
3) Reboot the computer.
4) Your display will be enlarged, and the Found New Hardware Wizard may pop up. If it does, then tell it to search the web for drivers for your device, then tell it to install the software automatically.
5) If you don't get the Found New Hardware Wizard, or if it fails, go to this link to download your video drivers: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...p;uid=200122644
6) Once downloaded, double click on the file and follow the instructions.

FYI - more general information for your Gateway model can be found here: http://support.gateway.com/s/pc/R/1009462/1009462nv.shtml

#10 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:14 AM

name=]']]

Beneath each of the dates will be events that occurred on those dates. Look for the Errors or Failures and let us know what the most common one is.

Finally, what I suspect is that your video drivers have become corrupted, and would recommend that you uninstall them. To do this:
1) Uninstall any of the Intel Graphics stuff from Control Panel...Programs and Features...Uninstall a Program
2) Then go into Device Manager and uninstall your Display Adapter (right click on it and select "Uninstall")
3) Reboot the computer.
4) Your display will be enlarged, and the Found New Hardware Wizard may pop up. If it does, then tell it to search the web for drivers for your device, then tell it to install the software automatically.
5) If you don't get the Found New Hardware Wizard, or if it fails, go to this link to download your video drivers: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...p;uid=200122644
6) Once downloaded, double click on the file and follow the instructions.

FYI - more general information for your Gateway model can be found here: http://support.gateway.com/s/pc/R/1009462/1009462nv.shtml

Thanks for your advice. I have spent many hours the last several days trying to learn and use the material you provided.
Some of this is starting to make sense to me. I tried the windows live one care safety scan. It seems to be a pretty good utility for people like me.
It reported:
Registry cleaner- 149 invalid items
Disc cleanup complains about 2495.6 MB temporary files found.
14 corrupted objects on hard drives.

Using antivirus tools , I seem to be infected.
Trojan-Downloader.HTML. Agent. IJ got in through fancraft- a site I used for electric fan parts.
Trojan Dropper.NSIS Agent.C object //mega-codec.net/download/mega-codec.V 4.577.exe//data 001

Spybot found Zlob.Downloader.vcd.

I used the windows one care to work on the 149 registry items. It fixed all but 8, ran again fixed all but 6.Ran today and fixed all but 5. Doesn't want to go lower. Computer seems quicker.

My Reliability & Performance data reveals that Windows Defender updates & Kaspersky updates were responsible for a majority of listed Failures. Probably 10-12 times since April.
Also wischost.EXE. & StacSV.EXE stopped working 4-6 times each in the same period. I don't know what they are.
Improper shutdowns [due to loss of power in the neighborhood because of lightning, or drunks hitting poles} was reported 4 times.
Stability is 5.80 today.

Between the Intel site & gateway , I spent several hours, but did find updated drivers available for my machine! & my chipset! Do Tell.
I find the following are available and updates:

Intel Viiv Driver version
Windows Vista Intel Matrix storage Mgr.
Graphics Media accelerator
Intel Viiv Tech.
Windows vista intel motherboard driver [mentioning the 82945G chipset.]
windows 15 in 1 media reader driver
Mobile intel 945G express chipset driver

These are supposed to be compatible with Gateway GT 5438 & intel chipset 82945 G express family. They state that they are.

New questions;
Can I actually do brain surgery without a major blackout ?? This driver uninstall for these items concerns me. Are there some I should actually not touch? If there is a certain order to make any changes you recommend, please list the order. The mobile driver matched in several ways, but I'm not a Mobile computer. That was on the Intel site, but referred from gateway 5438.
I got the Blue Intel box in the upper lefthand corner of the screen for information on Graphics Media Accelerator. I read the problems & issues section at their two listed links.

Finally, I can't see what the 2595 MB of temporary files is. Ccleaner,Dk Defrag. don't list them or get rid of them.
I have no music, or flash or streams filed, 3 small pictures.
When the windows safety scan was running, I noticed what looked to be 100-200 downloader installer items. I do watch flash news items & You tube for 60's artists performing their music. Ccleaner is used to get rid of downloaders, but it seems to not see any of these safety scan found. I have used ccleaner to list registry items, but not eliminate them.It is showing only 3 unused paths. Never listed 149 items ever.

Thank you for your recommendations and patience.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:36 AM

First, I'm going to move this over to the Am I Infected forum. The first thing to do is to remove the infections completely. If infected, it's very hard (if not impossible) to fix errors on a system - because the virus does things that are not "normal" for windows.

I'd recommend not running the registry fixes for Windows Live One Care any more. The more times you run any registry fixer, the more likely it is to make a mistake and render your system useless.

If you launch Disk Cleanup, it should tell you where the items are that it wants to clean up. When you first open it, it'll ask which drive you want to scan. When you tell it to scan your C: drive, it'll then pop up with a window with a list of stuff - the contents of that list will tell you where the files are. If you can't get that window, then it's likely that the virus has disabled it. In that event, I'd suggest using this free utility to clean out your Temporary Files (don't use the Tools or Registry Cleaner in the program): http://www.ccleaner.com/ (I see from later on in your post that you have used it - see more comments below).

The Windows Defender and Kaspersky errors can be from the virus - so it's important to get that cleaned up first (as I mentioned above)
wischost.EXE does not return any results in a Google search, so it's a suspicious entry that could be due to the virus
StacSV.EXE most often will refer to the driver for your sound device.
Improper shutdowns are also caused when you press the power button to shut off the computer (rather than selecting "Shutdown" from the Start Menu in Windows).

I don't think that updating the drivers will help any at this point. If the virus has taken over the system it needs to be gotten rid of before trying anything else. Depending on the severity of the infection you can either spend a lot of time trying to remove it - or you can backup your data and reinstall Windows fresh to get rid of it. Before doing that tho' - I'd suggest some hardware tests to ensure that you're not faced with a hardware problem also.

Driver install order is a bit tricky. It does matter what order you install them in, but it's not always required (because a good number of the drivers are properly designed to avoid this). I usually refer people to this Dell link (ignore the Dell stuff for non-Dell systems): http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=gen

You can uninstall some drivers without any worries because Windows usually has the default drivers for them. This is usually the chipset, drive controllers, video, mouse and keyboard. Sound, network, and other devices usually aren't available if you uninstall them. The key here is if you don't know, have a copy of the driver on hand BEFORE uninstalling it. But again, don't worry about the drivers until you've gotten rid of the infection (BTW - Gateway's usually have a Driver recovery program where you can make a Drivers and Applications recovery CD/DVD. I'd suggest creating that disk right now, before anything gets further damaged by the virus.

If CCleaner doesn't see these files (and you can't see them in the Disk Cleanup Wizard), then this could also be due to the virus. The Am I Infected forum is the place to start getting rid of these things. Again, I must stress that you NOT use the registry cleaner function (or the Tools). CCleaner is a safe tool if you use the default settings and only use the Cleaner function.

Since there are corrupted items on the hard drive (if Live One Care didn't fix them) I'd suggest going to Start and typing in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes). At the top of the search window will be an entry for cmd.exe - right click on it and select "Run as administrator"
In the black window that opens, type in "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
It'll tell you that it can't run right now and will ask you if you want to run it when the system restarts. Answer Y for yes, close the window and reboot the system. That should take care of the corrupted items on the hard drive.

Once the infection is cleaned, we can either move this back to the Vista forum, or you can just create a new topic there (and link to this one for further information).

Edited by usasma, 28 June 2008 - 06:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users