Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hacked!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Deebee1

Deebee1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

Hi Guys

I currently run Acer Aspire with XP. I have AVG free edition, and several adware/spyware packages installed (and yes I do update and use them!). I use Windows Mail for my emails so that I can see all of my email accounts at the same time. On 8th June, everytime I did a send and receive I received a password request for my Hotmail Account (which I wasn't using). I'd never received this before. I didn't take any notice but on 11th June got a bit fed up with it and when I tried to access my Hotmail email account, found that someone had changed my password and my emails were being transferred to another address. After I'd freaked for a while I checked my eBay account (don't ask why, it just occurred to me). The hacker had also changed my details on eBay. I contacted eBay and eventually sorted that one out, although eBay was aware that he/she had tried to purchase a lot of stuff via my account. I have unlinked eBay to my Paypal account, although no money is available via Paypal. My passwords have been changed on my other email addresses, accounts, etc.

I also unlinked my various email accounts on Windows Live. Would he/she be able to access them if they were linked?

I then emailed Microsoft via their website and, after the first one, have been receiving some very strange responses from them (or someone). The Subject line has changed from my original Subject line and they (or someone) have stated that to be able to resolve the issue I have to send a lot of information, much of which is quite personal (passwords, details of folders, etc). I am worried that this is actually the hacker I'm liaising with so haven't sent any information. Is this possible?

I have phoned Microsoft and now sent a copy of the reply to abuse@msn.com.

Does anyone have other knowledge of Hotmail accounts being hacked, and how do they do this? Is it likely that they just wanted my eBay details? I have received several automated messages from eBay stating that a request has been made to change my password again but obviously I've changed my email address and password.

Sorry to have waffled. My main queries are highlighted. I'm just about to run every programme you've recommended throughout your forums! Any insight as to how/why would be appreciated, together with how to avoid it in the future. Should I be doing anything else?

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

Do ypu have either or both SUPERAntispyware ond MalwareBytes installed
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

Do you have AVG 8.0, if so download that.

It will most probably find whats hacked your hotmail account if you still got AVG 7.5 you can upgrade to AVG 8.0 by going to: AVG 8.0

Edited by samuel3, 17 June 2008 - 01:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users