Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Itunes - Using Two Ipods On Same Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cuate

cuate

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:37 AM

Here is the back ground... I'm using a dell with windows xp. I have been using Ipod A for 1 year with no trouble with Itunes.

I recently bought Ipod B for another family member. I created a new user id on the computer for that family member so that user B could have her own Itunes library. Then I realized I did not know how to copy some of the songs from user A's library to user B's blank library. I deleted user B from the computer.

So, now when I plug in Ipod A, the original Ipod, the library comes up blank? It thinks it's Ipod B and asks if I want to sync the Ipod with the bland library and delete previous info. I always click cancel.

First question, how can I get the computer to recognize the Ipods correctly?

Secondly, what is the best way to share some songs, but have two sep. libraries or song lists for each Ipod. They belong to two different people who share some song interest, but not all.

Is Itunes hard to use or is it just me? I'm a novice, but tried their help to no avail.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:26 PM

Here's the How-To from Apple:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1495

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 cuate

cuate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:11 PM

Hi Raw, yes, I tried option one. Now I have the problem that I stated.

Then I tried option three, holding down shift when opening Itunes. It shows Ipod B's library, which is empty, but does not show Ipod A's library which is full of music. How can I open Ipod A's library? I do not know the file name?

Thanks

#4 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:14 AM

I use 3 iPods on my Macbook with iTunes, my wife's, my daughters, and my mine. I use one library for all three iPods with no problems. I don't share the same song interests as my daughter. My wife listens mostly to audio books. I don't let the iPod sync because it will try to put all the music in the iTunes library to the iPod. I move songs to the iPod manually. No problems at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users