Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Xp- Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:06 AM

Hey there!

Well, my friends laptop has died, after telling it to not reboot after fatal error I found it had the old UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error.

Well, the the first thing I done was boot into the XP Install disk and try to get into recovery mode to run chkdsk, Etc. However, windows reported that there was no hard disk basically and wouldn't let me continue. The next thing I thought of was booting into a Live CD, i.e. Knoppix, but couldn't find the disk so I decided on trying a mandriva boot disk but it couldn't mount the disk either so now I'm waiting for Knoppix to download because that can mount dead HDD's.

Anyone got any ideas of how I can fix this whilst Knoppix is downloading?

Dan Brownlow.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

Is the hard drive recognized in the BIOS?
I'd suggest running a bootable hard drive diagnostic utility. They're usually available for free from the manufacturer of the hard drive (on their support website).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

It's a Lenovo laptop, am just looking on their support site now.

It's recognised in the BIOS apparently but I've had still no look.

Dan.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:21 AM

You might try "fixboot" command in the recovery console as explained here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;555302
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

Hey Douglas,
The problem I have here is that I can't access the recovery console, windows is reporting that there is no hard drive which is a bit worrying lol.

Dan.

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:32 AM

I'm sorry I guess that I missed that part...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

Try going through the motions of a repair install or clean install, using the XP disk. Just to the point of the CD searching for hard drives.

If XP still doesn't recognize the disk, while the BIOS, does...I'd guess that it's dead or severely malfunctioning.

Louis

#8 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:22 AM

Anyone got any more ideas? I'm trying to use the diagnostic tools of WD support site for the WD1200BEVS HDD and everytime I run this, it says it can't find the DLGLICE.TXT file even though it's at the filepath it wants? Anyone tried using this tool before?

Thanks, Dan Brownlow.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:41 PM

Which tool...are you attempting to use?

I've not seen any diagnostic program that references a text file at all.

Are you using a floppy to load the diagnostic?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users