Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Graphics Cards

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cornzey

cornzey

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:46 AM

Hi there,

I'm looking at buying a laptop, and there are some good deals around. But if i want dedicated graphics the prices seem to jump up considerably.

What i want to know is whether dedicated graphics memory gives a major advantage in performance, or whether it is the GPU that mainly affects the performance.

Thanks
Cornzey.

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:39 AM

I think laptop graphics cards are a waste of money. They are overpriced, and usually not very good. You won't see any performance increase, unless you play games. If you watch HD movies, a graphics card might help a bit though. It will take the load off the processor. Besides that, a graphics card isn't necessary. The thing is too, those lower end graphics cards like the Nvidia 8400, aren't even that great, and they will raise the price of a laptop probably by about $100.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

If graphics are all that important to you stick with a desktop and get a dedicated card. Laptops just don't cut it when it comes to the graphics.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:45 PM

And if you do find a labtop with a decent video card it will most certainly kill your battery in the matter of hours. I'd stick with desktops for graphics unless you really need to and have the money for a good labtop.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users