Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot Vista+xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 K()nT3nTs

K()nT3nTs

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:34 AM

Whats good bleeps,

I have recently purchased a new Pc with Vista Premium Pre-installed on it.
Specs: New PC

I am needing to install Xp due to some hardware driver issues because Vista is so new and "improved". I know the easiest way to complete a dual boot is to install the older OS first, but the Pc came pre-installed with Vista and no disc came along.

So...
I have shrinked my C drive and made a sperate partion to install XP on. When I boot the Xp disc it begins the set up, but before it lets me select my drive I receive the following error In BLUE!

********************************************************************************
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF85F9AD9, 0xF898B7A4, 0xF898B4A4)

I've been to Microsofts support page, but no luck. Searched other forums no luck. Basically I want to know if anyone has encountered the same issue and has a resolution to this.

D*** Bleeping comp.... :huh:

Edited by usasma, 17 June 2008 - 05:43 AM.
*'s in last line

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:46 AM

There are many possible causes for this error. Here's a link to the description of it: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x7e

In short, XP is having difficulty with some of your hardware, or the drivers for that hardware.

Please let us know at exactly which screen the BSOD occurs at. You can also check the setup log files for more info: http://www.mcmcse.com/microsoft/guides/tro...ing_setup.shtml
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 K()nT3nTs

K()nT3nTs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:30 PM

Found out from HP that it has to do with the SATA/IDE Drivers. I can only install Xp on IDE and My Vista was on SATA. So It worked if I change the driver from SATA To IDE, but I am working on having XP work on the SATA driver with NLite embedded in the installation so I dont have to change the driver each time. Will post a complete description and process that works later.

Thanks for trying to help though John.

Pz.

Edited by K()nT3nTs, 18 June 2008 - 07:38 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:42 PM

You can slipstream the SATA drivers into your XP installation disk and won't have to worry about them. From what I've heard (haven't tried it myself), the nLite slipstreaming process will work just fine.

FYI - Today I put XP on an HP system at work using the "IDE" mode and it worked just fine. I was doubtful at first, but the installation proceeded without a hitch. But we've still gotta locate all the XP drivers for the system - and that's the pain of this kind of downgrade!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 K()nT3nTs

K()nT3nTs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

Agreed, Yea I am working with Nlite right now. The problem I am running into is that I need the driver for Xp to run on SATA for my Intel Chipset. Do you have an idea how to locate the correct one?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:58 PM

Normally the driver is the Intel Matrix driver - but you'll have to visit the Intel website and look up the information for your chipset to ensure that you've got the right one. Try this link as a place to start: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users